Cannula issues...

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was using the tenderlink infusion sets but think that I am allergic to the Teflon as I kept getting infections. DN gave me some of the rapid d's to try on Tuesday and I love them, but due to having put it in so that the tubing was going down and not up, I changed the set first thing Wednesday morning. Just short of 24 hours later this is what my "old" site looks like - is this normal? It's not sore but it is raised :s I really don't want to have to change cannula type again as these are really comfy and easy to put in... But also don't want to be covered in these marks!
image.jpg

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I used to sometimes get a red glue mark from peeling off. I peel off in bath now as I use on my bum and don't need lift off spray when on my bum.

Do you peel off using a spray or just yank off?

I never bother looking what way the tubing from the set goes.. Use so much of my bum I wouldn't be able to see. My rapid d's go in any way, but normally sideways I think and the tube and conmector are always held in place by my knickers over the top.

Loving life

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't even know you can get a spray! I just yank it off! I only bother about they way the tubing goes because I only ever have the pump in my bra and the tubing for these is shorter than what I've been using

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I wear pump on arm and tube goes down and then back up and all way down to bum. Tubing is 100cm..you can get longer tubing.

My occasional marks around edge used to be similar to yours but disappeared within 24 hours with a bit of bio oil rubbed in.

May be worth emailing picture to accuchek because they wouldn't want customers to have irritation and they are very good at trying to resolve issues..

Loving life

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Accucheks email address for ordering supplies and queries is:

[email protected]

Make sure you include your name and address as minimum and account number if you have it to hand.

As they are now in process of making new cannulas for their new pumps they may be able to consider irritations to Patients skin and sites and improve their new sets. Very least they should do is to consider what is contributing to your skin problem and it may well be that they've changed glues etc.

Marks from cannulas and bumps can occur but should be gone within 48hours really.

Loving life

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I meant bumps from needles going in or coming out of skin should really disappear within 48 hours..

Loving life

Last edited by a moderator:

iHs

When using a steel needle set when taking it out, definately use some sort of adhesive remover (unless soaking in a hot bath) to losen the stickiness otherwise it will be an ouch, ouch trying to pull the adhesive off. A good spray (3 times) with any adhesive remover spray (medical) will do. There are a few available mainly for stoma folk but the same stuff can be used for infusion set removal as well. Most of the companies will send out free samples if requested. The other alternative is to use a good dab of babyoil on some cotton wool on the set and leave it soak in for a few minutes and then carefully pull the adhesive away at the edges working towards the centre where the needle is and then gently pulling the needle out. If this is done, then there probably wont be the nasty red look as in the photo. T tree oil can be dabbed on the hole and that should help to heal and prevent any nasties.

Reactions: 2 people

Fryertown2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have the exact same problem with Rapid Ds. I take mine off in shower but find same problem and it's starting to get really sore on my tummy.

I called Roche for advice but they said they didn't offer any suggestions except to ask at my local pharmacy which I did... They suggested Surgical spirit to get it off so I am going to try that tonight & will let you know if it works. I do try and really moisturise the area after to try and help but think I need to give it a bit of time. Considering trying my bum next as I only use my tummy but a bit nervous of how it will feel and if I will be able to physically do it!!!

Plus I wear mine in my bra but tubing goes up & then down... Don't think it makes too much difference & you can get Ionger tubing.

If you find a good adhesive remover please let me know.

Good luck!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

As far as I know, surgical spirit is good at removing any sticky residue actually on the skin but not sure if it would work to losen the set itself?
If it does work, can you leave a msg so that others will know?
These are the adhesive removers that I have used
Liftplus
Apeel
Brava
Unisolve
Babyoil
Olive oil

I think someone on the forum mentioned DIY spray available in the shops that does the job with set removal .........Sticky Stuff remover lol

Fryertown2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry I've not replied I've still not tried the surgical spirit, had a poorly little boy so not had a second to spare!

I'll let you know how I get on ASAP - please can you do the same! X

chriswattcouk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get the red circles when I've left a cannula in for more than two days. I would recommend Boots plaster removal spray to remove the cannula.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You do not need adhesive remover in your bum, lifts off really easy and then a bit of food oil of some type rubbed in does the trick. I use virgin olive oil or coconut oil if at my mums etc..

SophieH

i've had problems like this also. Do you put cream on the site area before/after insertion? I use this stuff called Cavilon cream, and it's supposed to help prevent irritation at the site :) xxxx

Fryertown2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry for the delayed reply...

So I now remove my cannula straight after shower when it's wet or if not convenient just hold a wet flannel on it and it comes off fairly easily. I've been using surgical spirit to get rid of the horrible black mark and it's been brilliant! Gets rid of the residue easily and dosent make it sore or dry. I still apply Epaderm cream (prescribed by GP) after to keep the area moisturised and it's really helped and made a huge difference for me!

Hope you've had some success too.

X

pj77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't even know you can get a spray! I just yank it off! I only bother about they way the tubing goes because I only ever have the pump in my bra and the tubing for these is shorter than what I've been using
You can get the spray on prescription so see your gp it's called (lift plus)