Aaarrrrrggggggg

cuddles1985

Really getting frustrated.....for the last couple of weeks ive been going to bed with bs levels between 6-10 ideal levels for me.....but waking with levels between 15-20!!! I take lantus at 10pm 18 units. Now 1) does my dose just need increasing taking in im doing alot more exercise than i was i dont really want to up again 2) is my lantus just not working seems as the levels are so high?? Ive been on lantus for about 10yrs now is it time to ask to change to another basal?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried any testing during the night? If increasing you Lantus is not working then you might be dropping low whilst asleep and then rebounding.

toby64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, i to was having this same issue, i have been on the same long acting since 1984, but i had a meeting with a new to me diabetic educator,wow she told me some things that really made a difference to Bsl the most important was she thought the needles on my pen was to long, she gave me some sample 4mm needles and told me to go further out on my stomach, boy what a difference that made for me but i also have had some issues with medicines that muck up with insulin in a similar way, may check any new medicines eg blood pressure or alike or also may be you are about to come down with some illness that also effects my Bsl, hope this may help but do take care.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just increase by 1 unit and see how you get on, at 18 units your not on a large dose of lantus anyway so don't worry about increasing it by 2 units, just make sure you do some bg tests for a few night when you do change the dose.

cuddles1985

Hello all, i to was having this same issue, i have been on the same long acting since 1984, but i had a meeting with a new to me diabetic educator,wow she told me some things that really made a difference to Bsl the most important was she thought the needles on my pen was to long, she gave me some sample 4mm needles and told me to go further out on my stomach, boy what a difference that made for me but i also have had some issues with medicines that muck up with insulin in a similar way, may check any new medicines eg blood pressure or alike or also may be you are about to come down with some illness that also effects my Bsl, hope this may help but do take care.

I too had my needles changed a couple of years ago now to 4mm and yea that didmake a big diff, in terms of other medication i havent started any new ones :-/

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Lantus remains a very popular Basal insulin although some people do need to change for whatever reason. Are you overweight or gained weight recently? This would call for more insulin and make your blood sugar less stable. If so, do reduce the carbs to get the weight down. Yes, do increase the Basal by 1 unit at a time over several days and keep checking.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would be more concerned you could be sleeping through hypos. You say you've been doing an increased amour of insulin in the day?

I would test at night before upping it

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

cuddles1985

So i set my alarm last night, went to bed on 11.8 normally id give myself a correction dose but didnt so i could see if the lantus is ok. Woke up at 3:30 BS was 11.7 and woke up this morning with a BS of 12.7. Will continue to wake during the night for the nxt week or so, so i can monitor it properly. Thanks for all the advise

Type 1 diagnosed 3.01.1997

MDI humalog/lantus