Test Strips for sale on Ebay

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would love to be prescribed enough test strips so that I didn't have to battle to get the amount I actually need to use .

Type 1's being prescribed such an abundance that they could flog them on eBay is extremely unlikely. Type 1's have to test, it's not an option, as do Type 2's on insulin and other medication (I'm too tired right now to recall the name of the drug). That is why we are prescribed them . In my opinion, to get good control, all diabetics should in an ideal world, be able to get test strips on prescription, and and not too long ago, this was the case. Now, you are very lucky if you are Type 2 and they are prescribed, and even many Type 1's are experiencing a form of rationing.

Suggesting it is Type 1's selling their prescribed test strips is ludicrous, and seems to indicate a lack of understanding as to why Type 1's need to test, so I'll let you in on it - BG levels determine how much insulin we need to inject. There is no fixed dose, and it's very individual. Get it wrong, we can suffer almost immediate consequences,(hypo) or generally feel like shi*e (hyper ). It's a constant balancing act.

We are required by law to test before we drive too

. In my dreams I test once a day (actually, I personally don't know of any Type 2's that only test once a day) and on average, test 9 times. Each day. Every day. No option. No holidays from it. No end in sight to it. And if I wasn't prescribed them, I would not be able to afford to do it.

Signy

Reactions: 6 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was using a One Touch machine, I would regularly buy strips from ebay. Many times the boxes were sticky from where the prescription label had been taken off or they even had traces of the label on them. Part of me would hope that I would have bought them from new mums who had gestational diabetes, but I'm sure they came from Type 1's who were selling them.

I haven't bought any of these for about six months, since I was put on a Wavesense Jazz. The strips I have bought from ebay for this meter show no traces of prescription labels.

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was using a One Touch machine, I would regularly buy strips from ebay. Many times the boxes were sticky from where the prescription label had been taken off or they even had traces of the label on them. Part of me would hope that I would have bought them from new mums who had gestational diabetes, but I'm sure they came from Type 1's who were selling them.

I haven't bought any of these for about six months, since I was put on a Wavesense Jazz. The strips I have bought from ebay for this meter show no traces of prescription labels.
How can you be sure it is from type ones? Seriously do people think we have that many prescribed. I get less than a lot of type twos. How do we not know they aren't being sold by type 2 diabetics??
I think this thread is seriously flawed because there is no solid proof to make such definite and insulting claims about type ones.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
How can you be sure it is from type ones? Seriously do people think we have that many prescribed. I get less than a lot of type twos. How do we not know they aren't being sold by type 2 diabetics??
I think this thread is seriously flawed because there is no solid proof to make such definite and insulting claims about type ones.

My point exactly. Were all diabetic and need to stop making these sweeping statements. We should all be testing!

Reactions: 5 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not accusing Type 1's, but they have more access to strips than Type 2's. All I know is that the boxes were still sticky from prescription labels. I know that some of the sellers were also selling baby clothes, so were probably ex-gestational ladies.

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 2's get them prescribed too. Not just type 1's. I'm only prescribed 100 a month which is not nearly enough but under the statements made in this, I must not need them. My bad!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Type 2's get them prescribed too. Not just type 1's. I'm only prescribed 100 a month which is not nearly enough but under the statements made in this, I must not need them. My bad!

Have to say am finding this thread quite outrageous! Don't think anyone on prescription gets enough strips. Disgusting that you only get 100! How are you meant to test safely with so little?!

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use them all then go to my doctors and have the usual argument to get more prescribed. They lifted the restriction for a week now they are being difficult. Have changed once already.
We all need to test. I don't know why there is a sudden feeling with a few people that type ones get too many test strips. Surely there is justification in getting more when I'm on an insulin pump and have to test frequently.
This thread makes me angry to think that types ones can be so easily singled out and made to look like scroungers of the nhs by a select few.

Reactions: 8 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, but didn't you know that all Type 1's test strips on prescription are tagged by using an invisible tagging agent in the label adhesive that identifies Type 1's? :eek: Only detected by those in the know ...

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Just to add in here - some chemist shops do sell soon to be expired
test strips.
If unable to use up their shelf stock via surgery/clinic scripts .
I myself have seen this on ebay .

Am not aware there is - a certain fixed number or tallied number of how
many test strips are/can be prescribed per person - regardless of any diabetic type .
Some get just 50 [one box] others 100,150, 200 etc .
It does appear very varied per person .

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite right - there are many varied reasons why test strips are sold on eBay by private sellers - gestational diabetes has been mentioned, and also people who have changed their meters, have had a bereavement in the family just for starters. I find it sad that they are on eBay at all - in an ideal world, all diabetics should have them on prescription - it makes no sense not too, except for the NHS bean counters :rolleyes:

What is not helpful is one type of diabetic harbouring ill feeling against others. At the end of the day, the long term complications are the same. The struggle on a daily basis to deal with the "D" monster is the same . But not for one minute do I think that any Type 1's would or even could, have such a surplus on prescription that they use these to sell to those unfortunate enough to have to buy them.

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also find it extremely insulting that any diabetic is accused of conning the NHS by selling their test strips on ebay. However I also I think there are some surplus prescribed strips sold for whatever reason and it's sometimes fairly obvious who are personal sellers, but again, some of them do actually say why they have them for sale. There are also commercial sellers offering strips at very reasonable prices, and I try to buy mine from them - I have that choice. Without ebay I'd be broke and blundering around in diabetic ignorance.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol you guys are insulted by what? type 1`s are selling their spare strips? or is it type 2`s? of course they are, get real, so what if they are making a couple of quid and helping out someone else, its hardly selling crack outside schools, how holy you all are

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When my cgm went bang and mo longer usable.. Yep, I admit I sold my strips on ebay rather than returning to chemist.

When I have had excess strips I have passed them on free to another forum member here by post recently. I think the balance of the cgm strips to the postage for sending to a fellow forum member out balance each other.

I only had excess other strips due to the cgm meaning less tests on my meter. As the strips have use by dates or be destroyed. I would rather I pass them to someone I knew that needed them. I did not know anybody with the **** cgm that I had.

So guilty m'lord!!

Loving life

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Look at the fraudster heart nhs staff in the news today, that will put selling strips on ebay in to some sense.

Ps. For best part of 30 years I struggled to get strips. T1 and one gp would only allow me one a day.. So when I could help a fellow forum member here I did free of charge.
Yep, a **** cgm, not knowing other **** cgm users I sold for a few pound on ebay, but to get rid of them to someone else rather than profit.. Just wanted rid of them.
I bought a codefree meter at one point with strips.. Never used it and realised every box was out of date-what a waste of money!!!!

Loving life

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
lol you guys are insulted by what? type 1`s are selling their spare strips? or is it type 2`s? of course they are, get real, so what if they are making a couple of quid and helping out someone else, its hardly selling crack outside schools, how holy you all are
There is no issue with people selling test strips. But when someone is quite angry at a specific type, I find it to be insulting. At the end of the day, it's disgusting that people can make such angry sweeping statements when were all in the same boat. Yes people sell test strips. However, it isn't specific to one type of diabetic.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Just to make you laugh.

This week I made two successful bids (both six boxes of 50 each) and was delighted until I came to pay. Guess what? PayPal refused to let me purchase them saying there had been unusual activity on my account.. Absolute b-----ks I always leave a nil balance thus nobody can commit fraud with my account. PayPal insisted that I change my password and security questions this I have done twice and still they will not let me in or tell me what the problem is. Contacted Ebay and asked them to let me pay direct on two other cards and they said that - as I am using the same email address (I have only one address for over 7 years) as that with PayPal, they cannot accept the cards. I have an unblemished history with both PayPal and Ebay which they are about to destroy. I am desperate to pay the sellers to retain my100% record but it looks as if both these rogue companies are going to lose another client. PayPal even asked me to go to Watford (I am in Indonesia) to receive a prearranged phone call from them. How crazy is that when they know all my deliveries and my domiciled address is in Bali? Also, PayPal wanted me to sign a declaration form I filled in with
them (on my computer of course) with my ACTUAL SIGNATURE - how does one do that - do I need a touch screen??? ha ha ha

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry but I do not feel have easy access to test strips. I'm not even allowed them on repeat!!!! My gp has even overwritten my request on more than one occassion and not prescribed them resulting in a 40 min wait in the surgery for a script. I get 100 strips at a time which last 2 weeks. I never have any spare so couldn't possibly sell them on ebay... Having diabetes (type 1 or 2) is bad enough without people making sweeping statements like that.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Just to make you laugh.

This week I made two successful bids (both six boxes of 50 each) and was delighted until I came to pay. Guess what? PayPal refused to let me purchase them saying there had been unusual activity on my account.. Absolute b-----ks I always leave a nil balance thus nobody can commit fraud with my account. PayPal insisted that I change my password and security questions this I have done twice and still they will not let me in or tell me what the problem is. Contacted Ebay and asked them to let me pay direct on two other cards and they said that - as I am using the same email address (I have only one address for over 7 years) as that with PayPal, they cannot accept the cards. I have an unblemished history with both PayPal and Ebay which they are about to destroy. I am desperate to pay the sellers to retain my100% record but it looks as if both these rogue companies are going to lose another client. PayPal even asked me to go to Watford (I am in Indonesia) to receive a prearranged phone call from them. How crazy is that when they know all my deliveries and my domiciled address is in Bali? Also, PayPal wanted me to sign a declaration form I filled in with
them (on my computer of course) with my ACTUAL SIGNATURE - how does one do that - do I need a touch screen??? ha ha ha

Bali?...... sigh..... anyone lucky enough to live in bali deserves some bad luck!

Just playing :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use them all then go to my doctors and have the usual argument to get more prescribed. They lifted the restriction for a week now they are being difficult. Have changed once already.
We all need to test. I don't know why there is a sudden feeling with a few people that type ones get too many test strips. Surely there is justification in getting more when I'm on an insulin pump and have to test frequently.
This thread makes me angry to think that types ones can be so easily singled out and made to look like scroungers of the nhs by a select few.
/QUOTE].

That's not on Emma and you should get your consultant to write to your Dr's and say that you need more test strips to manage your diabetes, there's also a letter you should take along with you to argue your case, the letter was sent out to all gp practices in Feb 2013 and advised against restricting test strips for type 1's:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../Safe-care-of-people-with-type-1-diabetes.pdf

As for the opening post, I'm sure there are some type 1's (and type 2's) that sell test strips on ebay when they have got them on prescription, but that's not to say that everyone does.