Such high insulin doses..

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
I have a few diabetic friends in real life, and we're all around the same age, weight etc.
Diagnosed all within a year or two of each other.

Most of them are on say, 8 or 9 units of fast acting novorapid.
However, when we go out for a meal together, they'd take 10 and i'm taking around 20-25 units and still being around 9-12mmol.

Why is it I would take such a high level of insulin to get my bloods down in comparison to them?
Even the doctors didn't answer me on this one.

One reply was "maybe their pancreases work a little bit, whereas your doesn't".
Whatttt...
Any ideas?​

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Difficult to say, your friends could still be in their diabetic honeymoon period as where you are not, or it could be your basal insulin is too low and your taking larger amounts of QA insulin to compensate.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, have to agree with Noblehead..

There are too many unknown variables involved... It's like suggesting a small copse of the same type of tree on the same plot of land should all grow the same size & shape...

D

Deleted member 83869

Also not one diabetic is the same! Everyone requires different amounts....it's just how our lame bodies work! aha! I wouldn't worry about it too much!! :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Is your weight really the same as your friends or is it a little higher? High insulin units are most often associated with insulin resistance thru excess weight. Not always true but quite common.

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I weigh alot less than my friends lol. I'm just touching8 stone and they are 10 - 11 stone plus.
I'd understand if I was bigger but maybe it's just the way I work!

Daibell - we're on the same insulin. High five insulin buddies!
My BMI is 19 - 20. It fluctuates a little lol.

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I run & horse ride and do a fair bit of movement in my day I think lol. I think they're active, but not sporty if that makes sense.
Also, we're on the same QA but different background. And I think she splits hers.

Would splitting your background contribute to lower QA during the day?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can testify that keeping a horse/s can be physical work.. ;)

The fact that your friends are on a different basal insulin & split the dose may mean they have a tighter overall background level control, meaning a lower bolus to compensate for the meals, thus not needing to correct for pre meal highs... They may have also been eating less carbs...?

You would need to look at your BS figures before bolusing for a meal... Are your BSs high on average before meal times?

How are you storing your insulin? Do you keep it cool..? It may have become inert...

To be frank. There are too many variables regarding the difference between your friends it would be easier concentrating on your D control if you feel unhappy about it & sort out what works for you..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes, no one could say you are overweight! I wonder why there is that big difference? Just shows nothing is predictable with diabetes. Perhaps your islet cells are further down the line than your friends? My Rapid never goes beyond 10 units.