Bit freaked out by symptoms

Benjob

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So from being quite sporty 30 something and running around with my kids everyday. I now have severly blurry vision, dry mouth, toilet every 30 minutes, itchy groin, muscle cramps and lethargy. It's bloody awful.

I looked up my symptoms and it comes up with diabetes. So i saw my GP... then another GP and was told to get some cream and see the optician. So now I am sitting in my office feeling like **** waiting for glasses.

So what do I do? I haven't had any tests. Do i go to boots, do they have a test for diabetes? I just want to get some help.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, that would be the easiest and would indicate
Have high carb/sugar 75g an hour or two before the test

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lloyds Pharmacy do walk-in tests as well.
Think plenty of local independent ones do as well.
Probably best to get it checked.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can have a finger prick blood test at most pharmacies. I would get it checked. Not sure why Jack said to have the high carb/sugar beforehand though. I would have thought it best to go to the pharmacy after fasting for at least 8 hours.

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Personally I would go back to your Dr's again and tell them you are still presenting with these symptoms and demand that they test you for diabetes, it's not to say that it is diabetes that are causing your symptoms but they should at least rule it out.

Reactions: 6 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You can have a finger prick blood test at most pharmacies. I would get it checked. Not sure why Jack said to have the high carb/sugar beforehand though. I would have thought it best to go to the pharmacy after fasting for at least 8 hours.

To ensure a positve test maybe?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The symptoms could well be those of diabetes. I had male candida a short while before diagnosis which is quite a common symptom and the local GP just gave me anti-fungal cream not spotting that this is a very common symptom of diabetes and hence didn't do any tests. Yes, get a pharmacy to do the random test and then back to the GP if needed.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Without breakfast is good too, if they are open before work to see if it's over 7
Or 2 hr after a carby meal to see if it'd over 11

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If the GP is still being silly then try to find a Lloyds pharmacy or similar who will do a test.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go to out of hours dr or A&E if you aren't cumfortable going back to your dr or if you have to wait a week.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I know what I would do:

• I would make a new appointment with the doctor, and go in ready to insist on a blood test.
  • Then I would ring around my local pharmacies until I found one that would do a finger prick blood glucose test, then go and take it (ASAP)
  • If I couldn't find one, I would go into Boots and buy a cheap blood glucose monitor for about £10-15 They usually come with enough test strips for 10 tests.
  • I would NOT eat anything sugary or carby before going (someone with potentially high blood glucose shouldn't be pushing it higher out of curiosity, and in uncontrolled circumstances) and I think it was an irresponsible suggestion
  • Once I had the results of my finger prick test, I would be researching online what is normal, and how my result compares.
  • I don't think I would make any major changes to diet until I had some concrete blood test results, so that those results represent my real life and diet choices.

And, even if my blood tests turned out normal, I would be badgering my doctor for a proper investigation, not a brush off. Because something is causing your symptoms...

Good luck - and keep us informed?

Reactions: 8 people

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Non diabetics blood sugars return to normal very quickly. Eating a sweet food two hours before a finger prick test would indicate if his body had produced enough insulin to deal with the carbohydrate. As I understand it would be similar to the tests pregnant women have, commonly known as the lucozade test. Test B/M's, drink lucozade, another B/M after two hours. This is used for Pregestational diabetes as standard.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
What Brunneria said...that's good advice. If your gp wont play ball buy a monitor...only a few pounds. Let us know how you get on x

Samgillard

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi could someone please help , Ok so my father , nan , uncle were all diabetic and so there was always a chance of me getting it and let's just say this past six months I have had water infections with no reasonable explanations night time waking up with the driest mouth and weeping well me and the toilet might as well get married for how long I am sitting on it but 17 times in the space of an hour no fluids and still waking two to three times in the night then today did a sugar test and it was 8.5 do I have anything to worry about or am I just being paranoid please help x x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi could someone please help , Ok so my father , nan , uncle were all diabetic and so there was always a chance of me getting it and let's just say this past six months I have had water infections with no reasonable explanations night time waking up with the driest mouth and weeping well me and the toilet might as well get married for how long I am sitting on it but 17 times in the space of an hour no fluids and still waking two to three times in the night then today did a sugar test and it was 8.5 do I have anything to worry about or am I just being paranoid please help x x

With those symptoms you need to go and see your gp and discuss things with them, try and do it sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 4 people