New Advice From Dietician

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Well I suppose thats one way to reduce the numbers of people being diagnosed ! ! ! Can't say I agree with that though, to me 48 to 52 (6.5-6.9%) is higher than I would want to be, and certainly high enough to start causing damage, 6.5% was considered as diabetic, when did it change, or have I missed something?

I have just tried searching for it on the internet. She said the things she was going to show me weren't particularly for patients to look at but for dieticians to have a guide. She said it was new. It was a big laminated piece of card with blocks of green and red on it. At 44 I wasn't in the prediabetes coloured block.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS choices web site says,
An HbA1c level of 6.5% (48mmol/mol) or above indicates type 2 diabetes. Although there's no fixed point to indicate when someone has pre-diabetes, a UK expert group has recommended that an HbA1c level of 6-6.4% (42-47 mmol/mol) would indicate that a person has a high risk of developing diabetes.
So no change there.
Sally

Reactions: 2 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Cruel/over the top - I can't comment on that but you have taken control. It is your life and who are we to say yes/no. If you feel comfortable with the way you are eating (and it is healthy) then continue and don't let anyone tell you different

Sorry to whine Andrew. It just couldn't have come at a worse time. I started to lose weight late February/early March. I felt really ill with muscle/joint pains, such tiredness like I had never known, pain from head to toe, headaches, twitching muscles. I have had similar spells before. After so many of these spells my GP and two other GPs think I have ME/CFS, but I had just started to lose a lot of weight. I was about 9 and a half stones. Dropped to 8 and a half stones very quickly. Then I was told prediabetic. I had to stop all the sandwiches, etc etc, all the things basically that would help me put weight back on. I went on LCHF, and have continued to lose weight since. This is what my GP and dietician are more concerned with.

The dietician today said she felt my GP had worried me unnecessarily and that to do that to somone and then not give any sound advice to go with it had obviously frightened me. She said it would scare most people. She also said that no two prediabetics or no two diabetics can categorically compare as it's a differnet set of factors from person to person.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
The NHS choices web site says,
An HbA1c level of 6.5% (48mmol/mol) or above indicates type 2 diabetes. Although there's no fixed point to indicate when someone has pre-diabetes, a UK expert group has recommended that an HbA1c level of 6-6.4% (42-47 mmol/mol) would indicate that a person has a high risk of developing diabetes.
So no change there.
Sally

Well in that case she has a completely warped view as given to her from a medical body. My son saw the fugures and I just asked him. He agrees with what I saw.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far as I can find the normal range still is up to 42.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/glycated-haemoglobin-hba1c

Diagnosing diabetes[4]
Although HbA1c testing is mainly used for monitoring blood sugar control in patients with diabetes, the World Health Organization (WHO) now recommends that HbA1c can be used as a diagnostic test for diabetes, provided that stringent quality assurance tests are in place and assays are standardised to criteria aligned to the international reference values. An HbA1c of 48 mmol/mol (6.5%) is recommended as the cut-off point for diagnosing diabetes. A value less than 48 mmol/mol (6.5%) does not exclude diabetes diagnosed using glucose tests. One advantage of using HbA1c for diagnosis is that the test does not require a fasting blood sample.

My emphasis, the second sentence from the end.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
if you want to put on weight then I think that carbs is definately the thing to add to your diet. The question is which carbs. I added a lot of fruit such as dates, apples, figs, satsumas, instead of cake, chocolate, You could try a slice or 2 of bergen bread a day as well.

I think all of those symptoms can come from vit deficiency (B12 and D) but also may just be your body digesting its muscles because you arent having enough protein. Has the doctor tested you for vitamin and mineral levels?

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
if you want to put on weight then I think that carbs is definately the thing to add to your diet. The question is which carbs. I added a lot of fruit such as dates, apples, figs, satsumas, instead of cake, chocolate, You could try a slice or 2 of bergen bread a day as well.

I think all of those symptoms can come from vit deficiency (B12 and D) but also may just be your body digesting its muscles because you arent having enough protein. Has the doctor tested you for vitamin and mineral levels?

Yes I am very low in vitamin D but been on a D supplement for the last six months or more. I aksed about vit B12 and was told it was okay. I have been told to increase my proteins quite a bit as she told me there was new proof on that too - being fine for kidney disease and not as bad as they thought. !!!!

I already eat a piece of Burgen most days and I am getting through at least 4 oatcakes a day for snacks.

They have tested me for Coeliac disease this week -awaiting results. God help me if it's that too!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am prediabetic too (Hba1c was 46) and have gone moderate carb. 9 months later my Hba1c is 34. With the levels I have I have probably gone OTT but I worry that if I start eating bread/biscuits/cakes ocassionally could suddenly become regularly and then I am back where I started or worse. However last week on holiday I did have fish and chips and ice cream but that was away from home and will not become a regular occurence. I have will power to stop but not so much to reduce foods! when we were away last week the man in the caravan next to ours said to my husband that is blood glucose after drinking beer and eating cake the evening before was 18. he then said of course it's not good to go below 6. his legs were certainly suffering with such levels:( it's shocking that that is the advice he is being given.