High Fasting Blood Sugar Levels

Tasha1975

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello fellow Members,

Is there anyone who can advise me on how to get my fasting blood sugar levels lower than 10 in the mornings and after breakfast? I've been a Type 2 Diabetic for nearly 12 years and have been taking 3 500mg of Metformin for the whole time. However, after becoming a first time mum 3 years ago coupled with what I call "Diabetic suicide" ( a diet full of starch, sugary foods & drinks etc. without testing) my last HBA1C was a shocking 10.4!

Despite explaining my poor lifestyle to my GP he prescribed Gliclazide and Linagliptin as well as the Metformin I was already taking, which for obvious reasons I don't want to take without trying a LCHF Diet first. So here I am 6 weeks later and overall fairly happy with the lower readings ranging from 6.5 - 9 after every meal EXCEPT for my fasting and after breakfast results. I eat the same types of food 3 times a day (meat/fish with salad/veg including coconut oil, olive oil or butter) but my readings are still mainly 8 -10 in the mornings.

How do I get this down???

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Have you heard of the Dawn Phenomenon? Sometimes called a liver dump. When we wake in the mornings, not having eaten for 12 hours or so, our livers decide we need a bit of help to get our bodies moving, so it dumps glucose in our system to help with this. Some people are more prone to this than others, and this could be one reason why your fasting readings are higher.

Another reason might be the time you do your morning test. Ideally this should be immediately you get up and before you start to potter about, shower, make breakfast etc.

Another reason may be because your bedtime reading is high (do you take a bedtime reading?) If that is high then your fasting will be high as you are asleep and not burning a great deal of glucose. Try testing this if you don't already.

Other factors play a part, such as disturbed sleep.

Have a good read round the forums. There are plenty of posts about the Dawn Phenomenon if you type it in the search box.

Tasha1975

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Have you heard of the Dawn Phenomenon? Sometimes called a liver dump. When we wake in the mornings, not having eaten for 12 hours or so, our livers decide we need a bit of help to get our bodies moving, so it dumps glucose in our system to help with this. Some people are more prone to this than others, and this could be one reason why your fasting readings are higher.

Another reason might be the time you do your morning test. Ideally this should be immediately you get up and before you start to potter about, shower, make breakfast etc.

Another reason may be because your bedtime reading is high (do you take a bedtime reading?) If that is high then your fasting will be high as you are asleep and not burning a great deal of glucose. Try testing this if you don't already.

Other factors play a part, such as disturbed sleep.

Have a good read round the forums. There are plenty of posts about the Dawn Phenomenon if you type it in the search box.

Tasha1975

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for your reply Bluetit,

I have heard of the Dawn Phenomenon and I do test as soon as I wake up. I also test before going to bed and my readings are usually between 7 - 8, so I really don't know what else to do?

Will continue to read around the Forum as you suggested! x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You say you are following a LCHF diet, yet your day time readings after meals, and bedtime, are still rather high. How may grams of carbs are you eating a day, do you count them, and do you keep a food diary?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Are the 6.5-9 readings 2 hours after food, or do you start at 6.5 and rise to 9 with a meal?

If it is the second option, I think you may have some hidden carbs sneaking in... Sorry about that.

If it is the first option, are there particular foods that send you to 9?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with the other posts that you need to do a carb count and check what your daily intake is. Many will go for a max of perhaps 150gm/day or even much less. Set a level that enables your blood sugar to come down.