I am having bad side effects off Actos,has any one else had this trouble

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
HI,Iam having bad side effects of my Actos tabs,has anyone else had this troublr with this medication

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Actos is now deprecated due to it's side effects (Google it). It was commonly prescribed until very recently as it worked quite well but I would suggest you discuss with the doc changing from a 'glitazone' e.g. Actos to another tablet. I was offered the 'choice' of a glitazone or Sitagliptin by my GP and I went for Sitagliptin as I knew the glitazones could cause fluid build-up etc.

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Hi I have already tried sitagliptin, I had a horrific side effect that where I went blind for ten seconds while taking them I was taken off them,but I need to find an alternative,to actos.thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Wow, you are unlucky as Sitagliptin is normally free of side effects for most people. There aren't too many choices left. If you do need to go onto insulin as I did after Met/Glic/Gliptin it isn't the problem you might think. Can I assume you are on a low carb diet and not overweight?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@pipsy2014 I wonder if you have tried cutting down on carbohydrates in your diet (potatoes, cereal, pasta, rice, bread, flour products, pastry)? Many of us, on this forum, limit our carb intake and have been able to greatly reduce, even give up diabetic medicines as a result. Should this interest you, there is a lot of information on the site and the forum, and members will answer any questions. Have a look and a think, and come back and ask questions.
Sally
(ps, haven't had time to look through your previous posts, so maybe this is something you have already done, in which case, my apologies.)

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Thanks. Wow, you are unlucky as Sitagliptin is normally free of side effects for most people. There aren't too many choices left. If you do need to go onto insulin as I did after Met/Glic/Gliptin it isn't the problem you might think. Can I assume you are on a low carb diet and not overweight?

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
rHI, I am overweight I normally don't check carbs when I check the ingredients of food,i always checked the sugar content, I thought that was the best thing to do,to keep the sugar down,as for people saying cut out all the things that I eat,it is pretty daunting,i eat bread and potaoes,and sometimes pastry on a pie,i don't gorge,but I do like the food that I eat,how should I look for low carb foods,thank you

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @pipsy2014
One of the best ways of losing weight easily is to reduce carbs. This was the basis of the Atkins diet. My husband, James, cut down carbohydrates to a minimum, probably rarely more than 50g a day when he was diagnosed and 3 stone fell off him with ease, as well as his very high blood sugars dropping to non-diabetic. Many people on this forum have achieved this, or close to it.
You ask how to look for low carb foods. Well, the amount of carbs in any (UK) packaged food is listed, somewhere below the the calories, along with the fats and proteins. It often says, "of which sugars ….". Ignore this bit, just look at the carbs. Many people take as a rule of thumb, never to eat anything where the carbs are more than 10g per 100g, but it is important to consider how much of the food you will actually eat, for example, a dash of sauce, even with a high carb content won't kill you! But what you must remember, is that all carbs become sugar in your body, some very quickly indeed, that is why diabetics, who want to avoid drugs, avoid carbs.
If you give Low Carb a serious go, you'll be surprised how you get used to not having them and how your enjoyment of food actually increases. There are lots of recipes on this forum, if you can't find them, just ask. There are some foods you will need to increase in your diet, e.g.. eggs, cheese, cream to replace the energy you would have got from carbs. Then you can explore and add to vegetables. Broccoli is a great mopper up of sauces. Fried mushrooms make a lovely breakfast. Celeriac and butternut squash replace potatoes, some members make "cauliflower rice" and "courgette spaghetti".
Go for it! It's a steep learning curve, but worth it. This time next year, you won't recognise your old self!
Sally

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. I would add to Sally & James post by suggesting things like eggs and bacon for breakfast, 85% dark chocolate, no added sugar cake such as Molly cake (Google it), crumble puddings sweetened with Canderel and not too much wholemeal floor, cheese, cold meats, no sugar-added yoghurt and so on

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Hi @pipsy2014
One of the best ways of losing weight easily is to reduce carbs. This was the basis of the Atkins diet. My husband, James, cut down carbohydrates to a minimum, probably rarely more than 50g a day when he was diagnosed and 3 stone fell off him with ease, as well as his very high blood sugars dropping to non-diabetic. Many people on this forum have achieved this, or close to it.
You ask how to look for low carb foods. Well, the amount of carbs in any (UK) packaged food is listed, somewhere below the the calories, along with the fats and proteins. It often says, "of which sugars ….". Ignore this bit, just look at the carbs. Many people take as a rule of thumb, never to eat anything where the carbs are more than 10g per 100g, but it is important to consider how much of the food you will actually eat, for example, a dash of sauce, even with a high carb content won't kill you! But what you must remember, is that all carbs become sugar in your body, some very quickly indeed, that is why diabetics, who want to avoid drugs, avoid carbs.
If you give Low Carb a serious go, you'll be surprised how you get used to not having them and how your enjoyment of food actually increases. There are lots of recipes on this forum, if you can't find them, just ask. There are some foods you will need to increase in your diet, e.g.. eggs, cheese, cream to replace the energy you would have got from carbs. Then you can explore and add to vegetables. Broccoli is a great mopper up of sauces. Fried mushrooms make a lovely breakfast. Celeriac and butternut squash replace potatoes, some members make "cauliflower rice" and "courgette spaghetti".
Go for it! It's a steep learning curve, but worth it. This time next year, you won't recognise your old self!
Sally

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Thank you so much I will give it a try.i will start checking the ingredients.

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
HI. I would add to Sally & James post by suggesting things like eggs and bacon for breakfast, 85% dark chocolate, no added sugar cake such as Molly cake (Google it), crumble puddings sweetened with Canderel and not too much wholemeal floor, cheese, cold meats, no sugar-added yoghurt and so on

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Hi all the information gladly accepted thanks for saying about fruit crumbles,i use Splenda for my sweetener,i will try all the carb counting ideas thanks.