How do you discipline yourself?

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Low carbing (about 100g a day) really really works for me, it makes day to day life easier and me happier! But I regularly fall off the wagon, in style, and struggle to get back on track. Today I've eaten 4 small chocolate cakes and some chips. How do you discipline yourself? I really struggle with picnics, parties, holidays, peer pressure... it doesn't take much!

x

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carbing (about 100g a day) really really works for me, it makes day to day life easier and me happier! But I regularly fall off the wagon, in style, and struggle to get back on track. Today I've eaten 4 small chocolate cakes and some chips. How do you discipline yourself? I really struggle with picnics, parties, holidays, peer pressure... it doesn't take much!

x
I test.

The blood glucose spikes after I eat too many carbs are scary enough that it sends me firmly back in the straight and narrow.

Also, I discovered that I had to reduce my carbs more. The desire to eat carbs (cheat) only emerges when I eat carbs above a certain limit. Below that, I'm not tempted.

Reactions: 13 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't start eating them is probably the honest answer. I possibly could eat small amounts to my meter, but I know from experience that bread and me don't do small amounts and a small potato would soon become a big one. That's not to say I won't ever try then again ( off out to Whitby tomorrow so it might be that I get a small fish and pinch a few chips then as that's what others will be having) but I find not giving int temptation reduces the temptation.

Reactions: 5 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Discipline? I guess the first thing is I allow myself to not always be disciplined. About once a week, I have a hankering for something more substantial in terms of carb, so I have it. I couldn't do that all the time obviously, and I do have to watch the portion size. However, there are certain foods which are a non-starter for me and which I would struggle to exercise portion control (like crisps), so I don't trust myself to have them.

So, to summarise I'd say my 3 strategies are avoid, cave and portion control.

I'd be wary of not allowing yourself any deviation as you'll just want it more.

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I forgot to mention that but @Brunneria hit the nail on the head when she mentioned testing...I once had some Pepsi...my BG quickly hit 10 and I was scared that I was causing damage to my body. That soon stopped me...in fact I don't really get much pleasure from eating sugar now simply because I worry about the damage it's causing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing and keeping graphs for me. I've just had a spike to 8.3 after my tea because I had 35g carbs which is too much for me. It was an experiment to see if I could add something back in an attempt to increase my calories to stop losing weight. The spike has ruined my lovely graph and averages so won't be repeated in a hurry.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing and keeping graphs for me. I've just had a spike to 8.3 after my tea because I had 35g carbs which is too much for me. It was an experiment to see if I could add something back in an attempt to increase my calories to stop losing weight. The spike has ruined my lovely graph and averages so won't be repeated in a hurry.
As a meter of interest Blur; what was the offending item(s)?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a meter of interest Blur; what was the offending item(s)?

Mixing a slice of bread with half a dozen chips at the same meal. I can manage either on their own without spiking out of the 6's. Both together not the best idea I ever had!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My main indulgence is fruit, but I try not to eat the higher sugar varieties, or to eat large portions of other fruits. Being able to bake low carb cakes, make creamy puds, using stevia as a sweetener, and having an occasional piece of 85% dark chocolate generally keeps me on track otherwise!

I only rarely feel tempted to eat something that I know is very evil, then I get ****** off with myself because I get a sharpish spike which is recorded on my meter for posterity. :eek::eek: I can set my own target levels on my meter and watch trends regularly to keep me on track - I think having a goal to aim for really helps, so like Brunneria and Bluetit, working with my meter keeps me under control.

Robbity

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mixing a slice of bread with half a dozen chips at the same meal. I can manage either on their own without spiking out of the 6's. Both together not the best idea I ever had!
It's funny because the same happens to me; I can have ONE carb, but not TWO, even if they amount to the same amount. I don't quite understand that. but I've been generally only having one high carb food at a time since then. Luckily I can have about 40g before it starts to ruin my graph!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

x
As @Brunneria says, too many carbs and it gets harder, if I keep the carbs low I have no problems. Average around 25-30 grams of carbs per day and it works fine for me.

I just decided that some things aren't edible. Look on it like an allergy. What you can`t tolerate you just don't put in your mouth.

Reactions: 7 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By the time I quit all processed foods, I was convinced it was poison to my body, so it doesn't even occur to me to miss it and I can't remember the last time I had a craving for a specific food. Can't imagine trying to white knuckle my way into this way of eating though.

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of good points! For me, it's going to be a matter of getting on track and staying there... once the carbs are cut out you just don't crave them any more I know that. Yesterday started well with bacon and eggs for breakfast, cheese and egg salad for lunch, soup for tea, but it all went wrong when I had to sit next to the bowl of crisps at a party... next time I'll tell myself I'm allergic to them!

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of good points! For me, it's going to be a matter of getting on track and staying there... once the carbs are cut out you just don't crave them any more I know that. Yesterday started well with bacon and eggs for breakfast, cheese and egg salad for lunch, soup for tea, but it all went wrong when I had to sit next to the bowl of crisps at a party... next time I'll tell myself I'm allergic to them!
Maybe this will help - I was watching a repeat of QI and one of the weird facts was that crisps are even worse for tooth decay than drinking soda! At least, I think it was QI.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess the first thing is I allow myself to not always be disciplined.

This hits the nail square on the head in my opinion.....

you shouldn't need to cut out all the enjoyable things all the time, life is for living remember...........;)

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just went out for lunch and ordered a homemade lamb burger and salad, without the bun. My friend ordered a rhubarb crumble and custard with 2 spoons (meanie!) but I managed to be strong and say NOOOO. It was difficult!
x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just went out for lunch and ordered a homemade lamb burger and salad, without the bun. My friend ordered a rhubarb crumble and custard with 2 spoons (meanie!) but I managed to be strong and say NOOOO. It was difficult!
x

Your friend needs some educating! Not just mean, but selfish. Sorry if that sounds harsh. Well done for ignoring it.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, it is best just to go with it. If the urge to eat something that is not good for me strikes it is probably better, physically and emotionally, to just eat it. It is the thought of being 'deprived' that gnaws away, so trying to deny myself the carb 'treat' only means it is more desirable, which then leads to craving until the carby stuff is needed in bigger quantities.

'friends' who try to get me to join them in something they know is harmful soon become ex-friends. I prefer having all ten toes to friends like that!