Help us write an intro about Retinopathy...

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
phoenix said:
I think it should be possible to explain what background retinopathy is .Here from DUK.
The earliest visible change to the retina is known as background retinopathy.

The capillaries (small blood vessels) in the retina become blocked, they may bulge slightly (microaneurysm) and may leak blood (haemorrhages) or fluid (exudates).
It may remain stable and some people are told on subsequent visits that there is no evidence of it on future examinations.

Background retinopathy causes no problems to vision but it can progress and may need treatment . This happens when weak blood vessels grow from these already damaged vessels and these in turn bleed (proliferative retinopathy) There can also be a problem when there is a lot of retinopathy in the central area of sight (maculopathy)

That there are measures people can take to reduce the risk of progression

Basically a summary of this page:http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html
main things to be aware of
glucose levels, tends to occur after period of poor control (gradual reduction if high )
Nevertheless, there are people who appear to develop retinopathy with relatively low levels
(I'd include this because I've seen people say it happens, we don't know if there were high levels for a long time before diagnosis and even on Xyzzys graph there are a small number of people developing it with quite low HbA1cs.)
diet: veggies, oily fish, low salt, fibre, healthy fats (controversy over sat fat on here)
weight
smoking stark figure that 20 a day triples/quadruples retinopathy
exercise
BP control (particularly that docs may use ACES/ARBs as these are thought to protect against retinopathy/nephropathy
cholesterol control(bit of controversy on here that one!)

pregnancy ?????

or as we started is it better just to link to the Good Hope site?

Thank you Phoenix for this information - I learnt something new - smoking 3-4x increases the risk of retinopathy. I am an ex-smoker. When I was smoking, I rejected any attempts to tell me what it was doing to my body. I justified it with all kinds of excuses. It was also exceedingly difficult to quit, until I tried with Champix. I am just thankful that I managed to quit and have stayed smokefree ever since. I don't think I will ever fall off the smokefree wagon again, not now that I know it is particularly bad for people with (or at risk of getting) diabetes.

Also about HbA1c levels and retinopathy. I have a microaneurysm in the macula area, which is why it is being monitored. My BG/HbA1c levels were not very high and not for very long. But my eye doc says even a few months of raised BGs can lead to retinopathy in susceptible people. IMO every diabetic needs to know about the risk of retinopathy, and needs effective screening.

Like many aspects of diabetes care, it will take time for the health professions to improve their performance in this area. In the meantime we patients can help each other by sharing information and support.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have been thinking of this for a while. I remember when my Consultant told me I had to have my first sesson of Laser treatment, Honestly I was really scared because its the EYES. Lots of negative things go through your mind at the time, but once I had the 1st lot, even though I don't like anything done to my eyes :( its not as bad as we think. It's the unknown thats the scariest. Trying to keep good BS control is number 1, always attend your appointments so the tiniest problem can be dealt with and the approiate medical attention given, take a list of questions that you may need to ask and don't be afraid to 'speak up' if you don't understand what the 'professionals' are saying. Wear your glasses for reading or distance and a good pair of sunglasses is a must.

It would be lovely if life's problems were just a ride on the merry-go-round safe and smooth, but there are big rollercoasters which can cause lots of ups and downs. Dont despair and never, ever give up, theres always hope :angel: I hope this has been a little help to someone.

Best wishes RRB

Unbeliever

Regarding wearing your glasses- yes of course if they continue to be of use to you. If you are diagnosed with retinopathy and your vision changes please be aware that you should check with the opthalmologist before asking an opician to change them.

You could wase a lot of money by rying to keep up with the channges. Most optician s would tell you this, of fcourse , but I have heard of some who may not.. The eye clinic or opthalmologist will llet you know when you can return o your own optician.
It is not necessarily that your eyesight deeriorates it is often a case of temporary change while awaiting treatment.

Some conditions cannot be improved by glasses either.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bump.
One thread that never went anywhere (pity) but includes a discussion on retinopathy

Reactions: 2 people