Hobbies anyone??

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Think that would be the caul ie the small piece of the amniotic membrane. It's traditionally supposed to be lucky http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caul

Blimey Phoenix, you help out with everything. Since your advice with fat I have no pain in legs at all, they are so toned (a secondary bonus) and I regained my love for cooking... Just from the advice I got from you afair while a go now! I wasn't having enough fat!!

And now the answer to veil over face! I think the baby was still born though from what I remember. So notparticularly lucky!!

Also had a number of relatives shipped off to Australia!! And some jumping ship!!!

Othersnow talking of photography.. Our senior partner at GP disays his work in practice and is superb. I have a nikon d40 stil in its box but used to photograph beautiful flowers and insects but my ipad sadly gets used more due to it being so handy!

Thanks Phoenix for your advice on fat did more for my health than any other consultant, nhs person or pain relief **** tablets etc

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Phoenix for your advice on fat did more for my health than any other consultant, nhs person or pain relief **** tablets etc
( um....I'm supposed to be the arch villain when writing about fat, lets leave it there though as this is a nice thread)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Your help Phoenix got me out of pain and got my life back totally. 30 years + nobody ever actually assisted me to analyse my nourishment intake..your thoughts and info on that posting a while back changed my well being so much for the better. I will never forget that.

Time I think to swap ipad back to Nikon.. Dust off the box and the lens!!

Amazing hobbies from a few people....does everybody just watch tv.

Must admit I reinforced my love of cooking and have to include that as a hobby..even the birds have totally ignored one recipe I tried to make!!

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
i love my nikon:happy::happy:

i had drum lessons when i was 40, had wanted to play them since a child i'm not naturally musical so had to work very hard, but what fun, had a great teacher, haven't played for a while, might treat myself to an electronic set, headphones on and be a muppet :D

Reactions: 4 people

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
loved the photo's, i did an online course with the open university (a short one) it was really good, we had to post online and give comments, it couldn't be negative, but how it could be improved within the boundary of that lesson or why it was good, it gave really positive criticism and was a great help to improve.
just yesterday i got a new macro lens nikon 105 2.8f, i love it, wanted it for the trip to Canada, thought i would kick myself if i wished i had it, i find i struggle a bit getting the depth of field as i want it, just have to keep at it, enjoying it is the main thing

Thanks. Haven't taken any courses yet, mostly reading online and looking at others work, and in some cases trying to simulate or reproduce an effect. DoF is tricky, and it's something I would also like to get better at. There're are applications that you can get where you put in numbers, lens settings and distance to the subject, and it spits out you DoF focus area(s). I haven't gone that route, at least not yet, I like puzzles and challenges, keeping it old school for now.

Long weekend here in Canada, last one before the kids return to school. Sitting in a cabin with spotty internet right now. I brought my camera and have gone on a few hikes. One was 9.6km. :) Captured a great sunset last night with some nice reflections off the lake. Last night here, back in the city tomorrow night, although we have thought about staying an extra night if we can keep the cabin. Most folks will probably pack up and head back mid-afternoon today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
Thanks. Haven't taken any courses yet, mostly reading online and looking at others work, and in some cases trying to simulate or reproduce an effect. DoF is tricky, and it's something I would also like to get better at. There're are applications that you can get where you put in numbers, lens settings and distance to the subject, and it spits out you DoF focus area(s). I haven't gone that route, at least not yet, I like puzzles and challenges, keeping it old school for now.

Long weekend here in Canada, last one before the kids return to school. Sitting in a cabin with spotty internet right now. I brought my camera and have gone on a few hikes. One was 9.6km. :) Captured a great sunset last night with some nice reflections off the lake. Last night here, back in the city tomorrow night, although we have thought about staying an extra night if we can keep the cabin. Most folks will probably pack up and head back mid-afternoon today.

i like to keep things a bit old school, can't imagine using an app, by the time you get the answer an insect would be gone. we travel to Canada in a little over a week, we are looking forward to it so much, visiting my husbands family, he hasn't seen his cousins since he was 9yrs old, they live out in the country near Toronto.

http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/Eugene_Ilchenko/GoldenSection.html

you may find this site interesting. have a great day

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i like to keep things a bit old school, can't imagine using an app, by the time you get the answer an insect would be gone. we travel to Canada in a little over a week, we are looking forward to it so much, visiting my husbands family, he hasn't seen his cousins since he was 9yrs old, they live out in the country near Toronto.

http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/Eugene_Ilchenko/GoldenSection.html

you may find this site interesting. have a great day

Sounds like you have an adventure in front of you! Should be loads of fun. Currently I'm about 2400km west of Toronto. Trip back home for me is about a 270km drive east from here. Thanks, I'll check the link out when I'm back home and have a high speed internet connection. Internet here is painfully slow, and very hit and miss.

Mark

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
safe journey home @Marko723

Few hours on the road after a big breakfast.... arrived home to do a few more hours of unpacking. :D

Had a super time! Lots of great memories.... Booked the same cabin for next year... only longer this time..... awaiting August 2015! :happy:

DSC09068_zps32780940.jpg

Reactions: 7 people

Humblebee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooo, I might reupholster dining room chairs in that mix and match style. It'd go with my dining china, which is mix&match in all types of blue & white. I'd really like a sofa done in a patchwork style, but having made a loose cover for my sofa from a roll of fabric off ebay I know it's hard enough in one fabric, let alone creating patchwork and sewing through all those seams.

Thought you might like this video showing a really neat way to make patchwork quilting but could be used for any purpose:
- How to make a Crazy Quilt Kiera Oona :)

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had to share one more photo.....

DSC09191-3_zps3aeccb55.jpg

Note: This is shared via PhotoBucket... Flicker seems to do a nicer job of color reproduction......

Reactions: 5 people

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
Few hours on the road after a big breakfast.... arrived home to do a few more hours of unpacking. :D

Had a super time! Lots of great memories.... Booked the same cabin for next year... only longer this time..... awaiting August 2015! :happy:

DSC09068_zps32780940.jpg

that is so lovely, what a great place

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:rolleyes:
Just a quickie for you photographers out there. I am looking for a camera to take more arty shots to promote my jewellery. And I came across Bridge Cameras does anyone know anything about them??

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quickie for you photographers out there. I am looking for a camera to take more arty shots to promote my jewellery. And I came across Bridge Cameras does anyone know anything about them??
A bridge camera is basically a step between your normal point and shoot compact camera and a DSLR camera.
They still will generally not have an optical viewfinder but may be suitable for what you require.
Quite often they have quite a good range of zoom but you cannot change the lens.
You can also get a CSC camera which is another step between point and shoot cameras and DSLR cameras, but do allow you to buy different lenses. CSCs will be a bit more expensive than bridge cameras.
They will generally be alot cheaper than a DSLR or CSC cameras.

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Not familiar with the camera, but if your going for a promotional shot on anything small. Either purchase or make yourself a lighting box/tent, and get a few lights to angle and adjust. http://m.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Panasonic FZ range of Bridge cameras. The latest model is reputed to be excellent. FZ1000. There are loads of good reviews on the internet.

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:)
Thank you all for you replies. I noticed a few Bridge Cameras do have a viewfinder.
Thanx for your advice. I will take a look around. Oh I thought when you said light box etc ; it meant spending a bomb. What a great link thank you. And I will take a look at that camera Bluetit ty.

Reactions: 3 people
C

chris lowe

Re depth of field, it depends how you set your camera if it's set to close up setting it should automatically set a larger aperture so if focusing on a flower for example the flower would be sharp and the foreground/background out of focus. The smaller the aperture, the more of the picture will be in focus.Some cameras have a function which if you press the shutter release half way down it will show you how much is in focus. I'm still clinging on by my fingernails to my film cameras. I know that if I went digital most of the pics would stay on the camera as I hate faffing around on the computer (and don't get me started on photoshop!)