What foods do u miss

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I wasn't really missing anything until I went to Lidl earlier and they gave their bacon frazzle type crisps for 34 p, the big bags. I nearly succumbed and had to look the other way. Ridiculous really. But a year ago is have eaten the whole bag without a thought. X

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, it is all very speculative, at this point. :happy:
And probably wouldn't happen for 2 years at least. :)

But it would be travelling 1000s of miles of the US railway system. NY to New Orleans, then across to San Francisco and up to Portland. Probably approx 10 days on train, with sleeper, and 2 or 3 stop overs for a day or so.

The train menus are available on the Amtrak website, and they are perfectly doable, providing I were to eat from a small section of the menu.

What a way to see a continent, eh? They have huge viewing carriages with vast windows on the top tier of a 2 story train.

When in Texas a few years ago we did the 4 or 5 hour stretch between Dallas and Austin. It was stunning. Proper Western landscape, tumbleweed, cacti, long horn cattle and only occasional stretches of barbed wire. It made me 'get' America in a way I could never have imagined.

I'd love to do the same for Russia and India, but think they would be more of a challenge!

Sorry folks, I feel I have derailed (pun) yet another thread. Especially in view of the fact that this whole trip is still at the pre-pre-pre-planning stage!
Sounds great, I did a 24 hour Jo'burg to Cape Town train ride stopping in Kimberley. That had a great menu for a low carber.

The three weeks on Greyhound buses around Canada not so good, all the stops had a Tim Hortons so coffee and donuts (I was not pancreatically challenged at the time)

Some day I'd love to try Canada by train as I've not been futrher west than Niagra.

Reactions: 2 people