OKRA article is phoney!

Do you think soaking a plant in water overnight will yield anything to lower BG levels?

• YES

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • NO

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • I DON'T KNOW

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
How on earth does a pseudo-scientific article like the one by Eden something or other get in this website?! It says that if we "soak the okra in water overnight and then drink the water" we'll lower BG levels. That is pure dee malarkey! HOW does this work? WHAT makes it lower BG? I want real answers or I'll know this whole site is sponsored by quacks and snake oil salesmen.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
New to me, I've never seen it, it may well be spam.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
How on earth does a pseudo-scientific article like the one by Eden something or other get in this website?! It says that if we "soak the okra in water overnight and then drink the water" we'll lower BG levels. That is pure dee malarkey! HOW does this work? WHAT makes it lower BG? I want real answers or I'll know this whole site is sponsored by quacks and snake oil salesmen.
Take 3 senna pods and soak in water overnight and drink the water. Does it have an effect?
The method of extracting substances by soaking in water (or alcohol) IS a standard technique, The bone of contention is whether extract of okra has an effect on BG.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who knows what criteria the software uses to pick the forum posts that it shoves in the emails. Because it seems to periodically make these strange choices that people like the OP then assume is some sort of authoritative declaration by the forum itself rather than just something posted by a member. Maybe the site need to pay a bit more attention to what they're emailing to people if it's causing confusion like this?

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are a lot of snake oil sellers that appear on the forum. This one, don't think so since they aren't selling a pill or a dried herb or a miracle cure book.
Okra as IHS says is used in the traditional medicine in India and other countries. PubMed also shows a number of small studies investigating it's use.

What about soaking it in water and drinking the water? Well that is one of the traditional ways of preparing it.

One recent study did exactly that and fed it to rats showing that it does have a beneficial effect on glucose levels in rats.

The study found a lowering of both postprandial and fasting glucose levels when using the Okra solution together with glucose ..

"It is assumed that this effect of okra is due to the presence of large amount of soluble dietary fibers which retard glucose absorption from the gastrointestinal tract."

HOWEVER

When given Metformin and the Okra solution the effect of the Metformin (and the Okra) was almost completely negated ie the glucose levels stayed almost at the levels of the diabetic rats who received no treatment at all

'Water-soluble Fraction of Abelmoschus esculentus L Interacts with Glucose and Metformin Hydrochloride'
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3263724/#!po=50.0000

So my answer to the poll is yes, according to this small study, if you are a diabetic rat glucose levels will be lowered by a solution derived from Okra but if taken together with metformin the effect of both the Met and the okra may be lost.

This was a rat study though and we know that Met alone works very well in humans.

Last edited by a moderator:

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Take 3 senna pods and soak in water overnight and drink the water. Does it have an effect?
The method of extracting substances by soaking in water (or alcohol) IS a standard technique, The bone of contention is whether extract of okra has an effect on BG.

There are a lot of snake oil sellers that appear on the forum. This one, don't think so since they aren't selling a pill or a dried herb or a miracle cure book.
Okra as IHS says is used in the traditional medicine in India and other countries. PubMed also shows a number of small studies investigating it's use.

What about soaking it in water and drinking the water? Well that is one of the traditional ways of preparing it.

One recent study did exactly that and fed it to rats showing that it does have a beneficial effect on glucose levels in rats.

The study found a lowering of both postprandial and fasting glucose levels when using the Okra solution together with glucose ..

"It is assumed that this effect of okra is due to the presence of large amount of soluble dietary fibers which retard glucose absorption from the gastrointestinal tract."

HOWEVER

When given Metformin and the Okra solution the effect of the Metformin (and the Okra) was almost completely negated ie the glucose levels stayed almost at the levels of the diabetic rats who received no treatment at all

'Water-soluble Fraction of Abelmoschus esculentus L Interacts with Glucose and Metformin Hydrochloride'
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3263724/#!po=50.0000

So my answer to the poll is yes, according to this small study, if you are a diabetic rat glucose levels will be lowered by a solution derived from Okra but if taken together with metformin the effect of both the Met and the okra may be lost.

This was a rat study though and we know that Met alone works very well in humans.

Both of these make are good comments, if you asked a hundred people on here to try it then ask the question, my way of thinking it is a bit like some of the diets that seem to work for some but not or others, if you're not on MET is it worth a try,
I know personally I have trouble with my Vit and min levels as illness and meds affecting absorbtion of both but someone with the same meds and illness might be ok

Keeth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All I know is that Okra is working for me my BG have gone down to 6.1 from 12 and sometimes 14. I have stoped taking my Dapagliflozin now for two days and my BG is still ok ? trust me it works

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is one thing Okra can do I have read and that is block the action of Metformin.