Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Scoff not. Cataracts do resolve. My surgeon is the head eye surgeon at the hospital and also the liaison with the diabetic unit in the same hospital. She said that relatively recent cataracts can and do resolve with improvements in glycemic control, but that for long standing cataracts it is unlikely.

Must admit I did think they just got worse over time and couldn't resolve themselves, you learn something new everyday.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must admit I did think they just got worse over time and couldn't resolve themselves, you learn something new everyday.
I did noticed mine slowing down getting worse after improving my bg. But they keep getting worse, just slower.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I did noticed mine slowing down getting worse after improving my bg. But they keep getting worse, just slower.

Good stuff, when you get the cataracts done it's like having a new eyes:)

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If having GA, my patient leaflet from the hospital says:

"If there is food or liquid in your stomach during the anaesthetic it could come up to the back of your throat and damage your lungs. You should take your essential regular medications with a small sip of water only."

Reactions: 2 people

debbiiee

The lenses of an adult diabetic are said to be in the same condition as a nin diabetic who is 15 years older. Due to glycation & increased oxidative damage, cataract progresses more rapidly in diabetics. But with appropriate treatment to control hyperglycemia, rapid progression to mature cataract can be arrested.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The lenses of an adult diabetic are said to be in the same condition as a nin diabetic who is 15 years older. Due to glycation & increased oxidative damage, cataract progresses more rapidly in diabetics. But with appropriate treatment to control hyperglycemia, rapid progression to mature cataract can be arrested.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thanks Debs, that all makes sense.

Scardoc

Ah, this thread brings back memories. As a diabetic I may have memory problems (along with everything else under the sun apparently) as I can't remember what the rule for fasting was back in 2009 when I had my vasa deferentia severed. I am sure I had to fast and they regularly checked my BG levels before the op and a couple of times after.

I was knocked out for the op. The last remnants of my manliness turning to smoke and wafting up my nostrils as at least five sets of strangers aimed all ten eyes at my sliced marble pouch did not appeal to me.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read that as "my pouch, made of marble" - like Michelangelo's David. :)