E cigs/vape sticks

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am trying to give up the fags, because I have to, not because I actually want to. So I went and got one of those refillable e cigs, which, to be fair has worked absolute wonders (1 cig a day since Wednesday and only to tide me over when it is on charge) But of course, the leaflet says not suitable for diabetics. Does anyone know if it is really something I should bug my doctor with, or if it is just a general warning, as it contains nicotine it still carries some of the same risks as smoking for diabetics (and everyone else for that matter) just without all the other chemicals? Surely it's still got to be a healthier option, all be it swapping one bad habit for another, I know I will have to give it up anyway at some point, but everything in its own time. I will ask the dr when I have to go next, but seems a waste of their time asking them about this alone

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, im type2 and have ecigged for two years now, they do nothing to my bgs, they are of course not as good as nothing but are aa thousand times better than the fags, well done

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest I hadn't thought about the bg, it seems to have been my normal since anyway, even using a sweet flavour (I have been having a mini diabetic burnout, trying to get my ass in gear and figured by using cola flavour I could get a nicotine hit and a sweet hit at the same time). I was just wondering about the warning on the leaflet and the effect of the nicotine itself, but even so it's got to be much better than also inhaling tar and carbon monoxide too

alliebee

Me too I've used e vaporiser now for a year. It was a dr friend that told me definately not harmful for diabetics...they don't change my blood glucose at all. Much better than smoking

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stoptober - it is better than ciggies but it will be banned just like them, councils have already stopped staff vaping in uniform or on council property, matter of time before government
A/ tax them to death
B/ ban using them indoor public places

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i dont use them indoors except at home, its not worth the hassle of idiots complaining, its as dangerous as drinking a cup of coffee, i told my doctor and dn and they both just said well done

Reactions: 2 people

Janiept

Expert
Am I the only person on the planet who can't smoke ecigs - they make me cough like crazy?
With ordinary cigs I never cough. I would like to change for health reasons but surely the coughing must be a sign that they are not good for me?
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has or had this problem.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my nextdoor neighbour had same problem but has just tried again and said she only take small amounts of vape in each time and it working for her

Janiept

Expert
I have tried small amounts but it had the same effect. Maybe I gave up too quickly and should keep trying..............
it just seems a bit odd.
Thanks Andy

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
you can buy a variable voltage battery, i have one with my "vip" the ones that look like a hash pipe lol, you basically turn down the power, maybe better?

Janiept

Expert
Oh God,..............batteries, voltage, power - my brain just melted.
This girl can't do that kind of stuff and anyway wouldn't the vapour be the same strength?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
is this like putting a bit of H'cookie on a soldering iron?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
if you buy the refillable bottle like bong thingys you can choose your strength all the way down to 0% nicotene

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Eeees have to be a lot healthier than fags ... where was I?
Oh yes ... for you drug addicts that have switched to digitized drugs it is s lot healthier.
No tar.
Tar is the big crippler but ... always remember you're a drug addict.
If your drug of choice was heroin and you'd quit shooting up in a vein and swapped it for smoking the stuff it would be healthier too ... switching to Methadone would be even healthier but you know what ... you'd still be a drug addict.
I now see smokers gathering in wet ally ways ... shunned by the staff customers workmates while they pop out to shoot up their nicotine ... doesn't matter in what form so long as they can get out into that p iss stained ally way to shoot up.
Pack it in already!
Get clean it aint that difficult .... ok you guessed ... reformed smoker here .....

doomed.gif

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eeees have to be a lot healthier than fags ... where was I?
Oh yes ... for you drug addicts that have switched to digitized drugs it is s lot healthier.
No tar.
Tar is the big crippler but ... always remember you're a drug addict.
If your drug of choice was heroin and you'd quit shooting up in a vein and swapped it for smoking the stuff it would be healthier too ... switching to Methadone would be even healthier but you know what ... you'd still be a drug addict.
I now see smokers gathering in wet ally ways ... shunned by the staff customers workmates while they pop out to shoot up their nicotine ... doesn't matter in what form so long as they can get out into that p iss stained ally way to shoot up.
Pack it in already!
Get clean it aint that difficult .... ok you guessed ... reformed smoker here .....

View attachment 7021
I see what you are saying, and yes, I know I am not actually giving up rather than swapping. But, I am doing this more because I know I should than because I actually WANT to, so I don't have the motivation of willpower. I still want my fixes, just swapping for a different alternative. Also on another note, I have been neglecting the diabetes for a few months due to looking after my mother/acting out against it. I had no control over my life, as I was 24/7 on call, so I really resented not even being able to eat what I wanted and rebelled, especially as with caring for her, I couldn't find the time to work out the eating /insulin stuff, prepare proper meals etc and couldn't afford a hypo on top of that. She only passed away in July, and I also have all the legal and emotional **** from that too. So now is not really a good time for me to actually give up altogether, I am just trying to take baby steps to get my life back on track bit by bit and make minor improvements. And this is day 3 without a real smoky fag :)

Reactions: 2 people

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I the only person on the planet who can't smoke ecigs - they make me cough like crazy?
With ordinary cigs I never cough. I would like to change for health reasons but surely the coughing must be a sign that they are not good for me?
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has or had this problem.
If you get a vape stick, one of the refillable ones, you can not only choose the flavour and nicotine strengths, but I believe you can also shop around for the other ingredients, some contain propylene glycerol to make the 'hit' on the back of the throat, there is a different alternative to this, but I can't remember what, that may be what is making you cough. I still get a cough sometimes, especially on my first drag after a while, but it soon goes after a couple of puffs x