Help regarding my mother re VAT exemption who is Type 2

bonniecharlie

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

My mother who is still very active and controls her Diabetes with Metformin and diet is looking to have her shower room re-done has been told that she doesn't have to pay VAT from one bathroom shop because of the Diabetes and yet other quotes that she has received are not aware of this exemption. There will be no special equipment fitted it will just be normal shower room fittings and sanitary ware.

We are also looking to fence her property for security reasons as it is very exposed at the moment and somebody has advised that she could be exempt from VAT for this work.

We would like clarification of these statements if anyone could help.

Kind regards.

C

catherinecherub

I think you need to phone HMRC as although diabetes is covered by the disability act, your MIL is not actually disabled.and her bathroom does not need modifying for her needs. Would be interested to know the answer as it this is true then we could all upgrade our bathrooms and fencing at a lower cost.
If you search on the internet you get conflicting advice so better to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
all wrong in my opinion but so is having to pay tax on your state pension....my husband only has a state pension and has to pay tax on it realy makes him so mad...If you have diabetes which I have is there any help out there which can make your life a little easier???

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
can you imagine how much tax the country would lose out on if this were the case :)

C

catherinecherub

I need a new chicken coop, some more cold frames for the garden, a new shower head in one of the bathrooms, microwave, blender, bike has seen better days too.
A new fence really gets to me, how can a new fence enhance daily living for a diabetic? Suppose it could be argued less stress from possible intruders?
I always thought VAT exemption for diabetics was for goods that would not be relevant to the general population.
Of course, anyone who relies on mobility aids and the like should have VAT exemption but a fence?

Reactions: 2 people

bonniecharlie

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your help everybody. You have just confirmed what I thought, which is she will not be exempt. I think the bathroom company were probably trying to get away with paying VAT.

Kind regards.