How long is a diabetic clinic appointment?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I was told I was borderline diabetic in July and was lucky enough to get a referral to the Diabetic Centre (I say lucky because I know how busy they are). GP referred me because I asked about starting Metformin now (for a number of reasons) and review once I reach a healthy weight in a year or 2 time perhaps. Long story short...it's not licenced in prediabetes, so he referred me to the hospital.

Anyway, I've not been to a diabetic clinic before so I don't really know what's involved or how long I get with the doctor or if I'll be rushed, not listened to and ushered out of the door. It doesn't help that I've convinced myself that since I'm not yet fully diabetic s/he won't want to listen to my concerns. How long do I get? I'm not planning on taking a huge amount of time, but I need to be there long enough to have my concerns answered.

I'm feeling a bit anxious that s/he's just going to say sod off you're not diabetic yet.

Thanks in advance.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Difficult to say Louise, as you say you're not diabetic and they may not give you much time. On the other hand their appointments will be booked into slots, and you may or may not get a sympathetic DN. My guess is you will be given rubbish dietary advice, you may be weighed and have the soles of your feet prodded, and you will in and out in 20 minutes. Just a guess though!

(For the first diabetic appointment I was allotted an hour, my forthcoming 6 month review is allotted 20 minutes).

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you get better treatment than I get .. Don't let them be rude or insult you .. If they do, report them straight away .. As after the event the clinic won't do anything !

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh great..now i feel like i'm about to walk into the lions den!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
But you're *informed* Louise!

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Louise, Don't go feeling like you are entering a battle.

If they are professional, you'll be able to state your case and get reasoned answers and so on.

Remember that we read more posts about poor healthcare professionals, as people are more likely to have a pop when they've had a bad time than a good one. I've only been diagnosed type 1 since march and only have good stuff to say about everyone who has dealt with me from my GP practice, the diabetes team at the hospital, and the team at the local clinic.

It's another step forward for you, so good luck and I, for one, look forward to hearing how you get on...

I suspect you'll get as much time as you need, as last time I was at the clinic the 2 patients before me and the one after were no-shows. All to common according to my Diabetes Nurse...

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i never been to a diabetic clinic but see the diabetic nurse at the surgary
the first time was half an hour, second and third times was 15 minutes

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Louise, Don't go feeling like you are entering a battle.

If they are professional, you'll be able to state your case and get reasoned answers and so on.

Remember that we read more posts about poor healthcare professionals, as people are more likely to have a pop when they've had a bad time than a good one. I've only been diagnosed type 1 since march and only have good stuff to say about everyone who has dealt with me from my GP practice, the diabetes team at the hospital, and the team at the local clinic.

It's another step forward for you, so good luck and I, for one, look forward to hearing how you get on...

I suspect you'll get as much time as you need, as last time I was at the clinic the 2 patients before me and the one after were no-shows. All to common according to my Diabetes Nurse...
The staff at Dewsbury Hospital are usually very good and I have very few complaints really, so I'd like to hope the staff at the Diabetes Centre are helpful too. I have no agenda, I just want my concerns listened to and IF any action is needed, then I'd like that to happen. If they say "you're fine and we don't NEED to do anything right now because XYZ" then I'd be equally happy. I suppose I just need some reassurance that I'm not going to go down the same road as my mum.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
But you're *informed* Louise!
I am informed but a lot of medical and nursing staff are threatened by that - and all the questions I ask - even though I don't aim to be and try not to be.

K

Kat100

I am informed but a lot of medical and nursing staff are threatened by that - and all the questions I ask - even though I don't aim to be and try not to be.
Yes other professionals being threatened is really annoying ....we all need help in different areas of health..

I do wish you luck,though ...I think it will be a good appointment for you ....best wishes Kat

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Loobles Be assertive, positve and have a list of concerns/questions.

It'll be fine ;)
I have - they're already written down and I'm just going to hand them over so they can read them without me having to state them. I'll do my best to get them to discuss each point. I can be assertive, I just don't find it alwaysgets me anywhere! LOL

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you having a follow up HbA1c tomorrow too?

Reading the GP Update Handbook, allegedly it should be considered if the HbA1c isn't improving, but I imagine yours will have.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Are you having a follow up HbA1c tomorrow too?

Reading the GP Update Handbook, allegedly it should be considered if the HbA1c isn't improving, but I imagine yours will have.
I have no idea @AndBreathe but I would hope it has since I rarely have carbs these days. I hope they'll take any improvement in context of the fat I don't eat carbs much now. However at some point I'd like to add some back without a big spike...days out etc woul be much easier for sure.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea @AndBreathe but I would hope it has since I rarely have carbs these days. I hope they'll take any improvement in context of the fat I don't eat carbs much now. However at some point I'd like to add some back without a big spike...days out etc woul be much easier for sure.

Sorry - a completely rubbish message by me. I was referring to the prescribing of metformin in pre-diabetics. Did you noticed I missed a bit of info from my post? Ooops.

The GP Update Handbook says some interesting things about pre-diabetics reverting to normoglycaemia, and how it impacts on their likelihood of developing diabetes later. Was that part of your reading material?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry - a completely rubbish message by me. I was referring to the prescribing of metformin in pre-diabetics. Did you noticed I missed a bit of info from my post? Ooops.

The GP Update Handbook says some interesting things about pre-diabetics reverting to normoglycaemia, and how it impacts on their likelihood of developing diabetes later. Was that part of your reading material?
LOL, no I hadn't noticed, but I think I got the key points of what you were saying. I have seen the GP Update but can't remember what it said now to be honest. I have it bookmarked on my iPad so I'll have a look at that later. I just want to know that I'm doing what'sright for me and my circumstances...whatever that is. I'd just hate to ignore something, or not mention something that would have impacted on my treatment. After tomorrow, i think I'll feel much better as I didn't really have much faith in my GP (not tested the new GP yet!).

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
On the 6th page of the document, which shows pagination of 62.

http://www.gp-update.co.uk/files/docs/GP_Update-Spring_2013_diabetes.pdf
Ah, it's coming back to me now. So, it looks like there's probab;y no benefit to starting Metformin then anyway if low carbing has brought my HbA1c down. Well, that's good...so long as I can sustain this lifestyle change! I forgot about that paper, so thanks for the reminder, I have an idea now what they might do tomorrow...reassure me and send me on my merry way I think. So long as they listen to my concerns, I'll be happy either way.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, it's coming back to me now. So, it looks like there's probab;y no benefit to starting Metformin then anyway if low carbing has brought my HbA1c down. Well, that's good...so long as I can sustain this lifestyle change! I forgot about that paper, so thanks for the reminder, I have an idea now what they might do tomorrow...reassure me and send me on my merry way I think. So long as they listen to my concerns, I'll be happy either way.

I didn't send it to deflate you. I do hope you have managed to make progress out of pre-diabetic, although it's not awfully long since your last test, I guess.

Fingers crossed.

Like you, I like to have viewed both sides of the argument, so that I can tune my BS antennae, in readiness. I so detest being treated like someone who is either disinterested or uninformed.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I didn't send it to deflate you. I do hope you have managed to make progress out of pre-diabetic, although it's not awfully long since your last test, I guess.

Fingers crossed.

Like you, I like to have viewed both sides of the argument, so that I can tune my BS antennae, in readiness. I so detest being treated like someone who is either disinterested or uninformed.
Oh no, I'm not deflated! I'm curious about whether Metformin would help (particularly with the weight and also re the cardiovascular protection), but I only want to start it if there's going to be some kind of benefit. If there isn't, then there's no point. I won't be too upset. As I said, I just want to be listened to and have a logical 2-sided discussion.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what could happen is a fast track to the eating clinic part, this is something I would be pushing for