High Blood Sugar

lemontop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've had T1 for nearly 5 years now and my control has been quite good until the last 3 weeks.

Recently my levels have been 12 plus 2 hours after meals. No idea why as I haven't changed diet, exercise etc.

I have adjusted my insulin but still finding it difficult to get things right. I was thinking maybe stress has affected me as I have a 4 month old son.

Any suggestions or similar experiences appreciated.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello lemontop. Im sure someone will be able to help :)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've had T1 for nearly 5 years now and my control has been quite good until the last 3 weeks.

Recently my levels have been 12 plus 2 hours after meals. No idea why as I haven't changed diet, exercise etc.

I have adjusted my insulin but still finding it difficult to get things right. I was thinking maybe stress has affected me as I have a 4 month old son.

Any suggestions or similar experiences appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

Stress can certainly have an effect. Are you on a basal/bolus regime e.g. Lantus & Humalog or similar?

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Certainly stress can effect bg levels talking from my own experience, if you are on basal/bolus take a look at the following which may help you get your control back:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the replies. I'm on levemir and novorapid before meals.

In his book Think Like a Pancreas, Gary Scheiner discusses bolusing for stress, if you've not read the book yet then I would highly recommend it, it really is a good read with so much helpful information and advice on controlling type 1 diabetes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sleep deprivation affect my blood glucose level. A lot!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

lemontop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very confused by the aftermeal readings. They all seem to be around plus 5 2 hours after. For example this morning Weetabix for breakfast and I took 12 units which is way more than I normally take - 6.8 before 14.1 after. I'm really stumped.

Suzie Quartly

I am type 2 but I have noticed that 2 hrs after eating I am still high, however testing again half an hour later, its OK. Just a thought that your body might be slower at processing your meal.

lemontop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Suzie. May be slower absorption of insulin. 2.5 hours - 9 and 3 hours - 4.5.

It's the first time my readings have been strange like this. I guess lots more regular monitoring in order.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
Isnt there a small chance that u could have an infection? Caries, sinusitis or urinary infection... Not always u get a fever as a sign...

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a thought but I have to inject 15 minutes before I eat so the insulin has a chance to get in. Otherwise I go really high x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very confused by the aftermeal readings. They all seem to be around plus 5 2 hours after. For example this morning Weetabix for breakfast and I took 12 units which is way more than I normally take - 6.8 before 14.1 after. I'm really stumped.

Could well be stress or illness or it could be poor insulin absorption, do you rotate your injection sites regularly? If not then it's good practice to do so lemontop.

Donna makes a good point about injecting ahead to give the insulin a chance to work before the carbs in the meal begin to digest, again Gary Scheiner discusses this in his book.

I find adding a some seeds and natural yogurt to my breakfast slows down the absorption of the meal(due to the fat content) I don't eat Weetabix but do have Traditional Porridge every morning and to this I add linseeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds together with some natural yogurt and blueberries.

lemontop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the responses so far.

Another factor I'm taking into consideration is the build up of scar tissue in my injection sites.

I've injected around my stomach area since I was diagnosed, and rotated sites there. I'm thinking of switching to thigh or arm but have always been a bit apprehensive due to different absorption rates.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for all the responses so far.

Another factor I'm taking into consideration is the build up of scar tissue in my injection sites.

I've injected around my stomach area since I was diagnosed, and rotated sites there. I'm thinking of switching to thigh or arm but have always been a bit apprehensive due to different absorption rates.

They are fine to use, insulin absorbs fastest in the stomach, arms, legs & buttocks in that order.