am i on my way to being diabetic?

StephenSmithG

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi there,

I am a 24 year old male. the other day I had a fasting glucose blood test along with a bunch of other standard blood tests and my reading was 95 or 5.3 mmol/dl. Now my doctor told me that that reading is totally normal and i shoudlnt be concerned, but ive read on the internet that its in pre diabetes range and that I will have diabetes in 10 years. My triglycerides were well within normal range and so was my LDL and HDL cholestorol. Everything else points to that I am healthy. I am 6 feet 160 pounds so not overweight, and have no history of diabetes in my family. I am still scared that my blood sugar is high. The night before the blood test I didnt get a good nights sleep I tossed and turned alot. can this affect the results? Please help as I am very concerned. Thanks

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
5.3 is fine. I suggest you stop looking at enjoy life - your doctor is absolutely correct. I'm not sure where you read that but don't believe everything you read on the internet unless you want Elvis to be alive and living on the moon! For information I get numbers around that level when I have had a large amount of protein the previous evening (especially beef)

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Nothing wrong with being concerned. A 5.3 is in the 'normal' fasting range. However, it is possible to have a fasting blood glucose in the normal range, yet have diabetes due to post meal abnormally elevated blood glucose. An HbA1c test would show whether you have it or not. I won't hazard a guess as to how unlikely it is that you have a blood sugar problem.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people naturally chug along in the top of the normal range, others at the bottom.

But the key thing is that they are all normal. :)

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Normal fasting blood glucose doesn't mean no diabetes. I had normal fasting blood glucose, but HbA1c in the diabetic range. Turned out my blood sugar shot way up after eating carbs, but was normal in the mornings.

Reactions: 2 people

StephenSmithG

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Do i need to have addtional tests done? my doctor insists they aren't neccessary, but I am still scared I could be diabetic. Its giving me such bad anxiety :(

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
No, you don't need additional tests done. It is highly unlikely you have diabetes. The only reason to do more tests would be to allay your fears. I'm not surprised your doctor would not do more tests. However, you could buy a home blood glucose meter and test yourself. :nurse:

G

graj0

Do i need to have addtional tests done? my doctor insists they aren't neccessary, but I am still scared I could be diabetic. Its giving me such bad anxiety :(
Try not to be so anxious, I know, that's easy for me to say. Have more confidence in your GP, we all hear horror stories, but they're less frequent than we imagine. In having a fasting blood glucose, I'm assuming there was a reason and you would have been asked certain questions. As a result of all of that the GP has said you are not diabetic. Please trust him, or get another doctor.

StephenSmithG

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for all your replies. Lately over the past few weeks I have been waking up at 2am-3am quite thirsty, so i get up an ddrink water and go back to sleep. the interent is ripe with people saying this is a sure symtpom of type 2. i know my fasting glucose was only 5.3, but should i go back and talk to my doctor about these symptoms? I am not usually thirsty during the day any more than normal...

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Thanks for all your replies. Lately over the past few weeks I have been waking up at 2am-3am quite thirsty, so i get up an ddrink water and go back to sleep. the interent is ripe with people saying this is a sure symtpom of type 2. i know my fasting glucose was only 5.3, but should i go back and talk to my doctor about these symptoms? I am not usually thirsty during the day any more than normal...
No, you don't need additional tests done. It is highly unlikely you have diabetes. The only reason to do more tests would be to allay your fears. I'm not surprised your doctor would not do more tests. However, you could buy a home blood glucose meter and test yourself. :nurse:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only your doctor can put your mind at rest. If you are so anxious, then go and see him.
Failing that, buy or borrow a blood glucose meter and test yourself before and 2 hours after a normal meal.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Or drink a glass of water before bed. :woot:

G

graj0

I remember a long time before being diagnosed going to the doctor because I was always thirsty, I was drinking loads of water. He just said "are you peeing?", I said "yes", he said "that's OK then".
The internet is full of barrack room lawyers, trust your doctor.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember a long time before being diagnosed going to the doctor because I was always thirsty, I was drinking loads of water. He just said "are you peeing?", I said "yes", he said "that's OK then".
The internet is full of barrack room lawyers, trust your doctor.
You seem to contradict yourself there. He said you are ok they you had diabetes?

StephenSmithG

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
i went to doctor but he refusd to do anyt further tests as he insists they weren't neccessary. I have noticed after meals i get quite tired now. :(

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i went to doctor but he refusd to do anyt further tests as he insists they weren't neccessary. I have noticed after meals i get quite tired now. :(
There could be many reasons for you being tired. I would tell him you wish to be tested for diabetes, How could a doctor refuse that? 5.3 in not too bad by the way.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Get your own blood glucose meter and test yourself. :nurse:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What difference would it make to your lifestyle if the doctor did say you were pre-diabetic?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
What difference would it make to your lifestyle if the doctor did say you were pre-diabetic?
Except a fasting blood glucose of 5.3 is not even up to the prediabetic range. I'd find a new doctor. :meh:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Except a fasting blood glucose of 5.3 is not even up to the prediabetic range. I'd find a new doctor. :meh:
Why, the doctor has been correct in saying all the figures are normal.