Glucose readings on the up.

Django

Dislikes
Tattoos, Chavs, body piercing, Jamaican patois, Rapping, alleged R&B artists, reality tv.
I've been diagnosed type 2 for about three years now. Currently on 2000 mg Metformin per day. My six monthly checks have been going well with 3 month averages of around 6.5. That is until my last check four weeks go when the average had gone up to 9. The nurse asked what I was doing differently. I really haven't changed diet much , however I have been under some stress in the last six months. My father died four months ago and my sister has been treated for cancer with chemotherapy. This has meant lots of hospital visiting and worry. Can stress raise blood glucose levels?
My readings used to be around 6 before eating and rise to around 8 or 9 two hours after eating. Yesterday I went to bed with a reading of 8.6, fasting reading of 9.9 next morring ( I always have a raised reading in the morning) and after lunch of onion soup with a mini baguet it went up to 18.6. These readings are starting to worry me now as I just can't get my readings below 8 these days.
Does anyone have any views or tips. I intend to see my GP next week.

Thanks
Django

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
@Django, not qualified to comment, newly diagnosed myself, but the baguette gave it away for me.
What do you eat and do you test?

Django

Dislikes
Tattoos, Chavs, body piercing, Jamaican patois, Rapping, alleged R&B artists, reality tv.
@Django, not qualified to comment, newly diagnosed myself, but the baguette gave it away for me.
What do you eat and do you test?

Yes I do test. I know the baguette was naughty but normally I would see a reading of about 9 on my meter not over 18. I'm trying to cut down on carbs now and exercise more and see where that gets me. Still seeing the GP though.

Django

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Yes, stress certainly affects my BG levels, both short and longterm.

I think you are right to be concerned. It could easily turn into a slippery slope of rising BG levels and more medication.

What is a typical day's food?

Django

Dislikes
Hi,

Yes, stress certainly affects my BG levels, both short and longterm.

I think you are right to be concerned. It could easily turn into a slippery slope of rising BG levels and more medication.

What is a typical day's food?

Breakfast- nothing, I don't feel hungry on a morning
Lunch- Granary bread sandwich, bottle of water,
Dinner-Meat and vegetables i.e. cauliflower, broccoli, peas etc
Mind you I do like a beer and red wine!!!!!
I try to avoid bread and pasta and rice if possible.. I allow myself one Indian takeaway a week when I will have some chips. Got to enjoy yourself occasionally.

Django

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to avoid bread and pasta and rice if possible.. I allow myself one Indian takeaway a week when I will have some chips. Got to enjoy yourself occasionally.

Django
it's a personal choice, you may feel you've cut your carbs down to a level you can live with, you and your Dr will work on your meds to get your BG down
the main thing is to have your bg in the safe range

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Django

What are your BG levels in the morning on waking, and then mid morning? You mentioned one days reading in your original post. Is that typical?

I have a pronounced dawn phenomenon (o joy), and find that eating (even though I don't feel hungry) is the only answer to stopping my BG rising all morning. If you are similar that would impact on hba1c results a LOT.

Django

Dislikes
What are your BG levels in the morning on waking, and then mid morning? You mentioned one days reading in your original post. Is that typical?

I have a pronounced dawn phenomenon (o joy), and find that eating (even though I don't feel hungry) is the only answer to stopping my BG rising all morning. If you are similar that would impact on hba1c results a LOT.

It used to be around 7.5 to 8 on a morning after fasting overnight. Them mid-morning would be around 5.5 or 6. Now I'm getting 9.5 to 10 on waking around 8 a little later.

Django

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be the stress you have been experiencing, and we human beings tend to comfort eat when under stress - even sometimes without realising. The odd baguette here, the odd jacket potato there, maybe a biscuit. Whatever. It is also easy to increase our food portions without realising. Perhaps it is time to keep a food diary, and record absolutely everything you eat and drink.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It used to be around 7.5 to 8 on a morning after fasting overnight. Them mid-morning would be around 5.5 or 6. Now I'm getting 9.5 to 10 on waking around 8 a little later.

Django

Thanks.
It looks like your dawn phenomenon is before you wake up, dropping a bit during the morning.
Mine just rises til I eat something.

Do you fancy trying an experiment?
Test on waking.
Have a small non carb snack, then test 2 hours later. Something you can enjoy. For me it would be a slice of cheese, or a blob of Greek yog (full fat). Maybe a couple of Brazil nuts, or a coffee with cream.

It might bring your mid morning BG down a bit.
Of course it might not - but worth a try, eh?

Philjay50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
too much to mention
I have been T2 for nearly two years now and still struggling to come to terms with it all. hat I do believe is that stress plays a big part in your well being.
I can almost track my rising BG to the amount of stress that I am under, whilst away in the sumer eating not a particularly good diet my numbers were mainly OK, I come home to the turmoil that is my life at the moment and it goes to hell.