No notice for anything

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am really fed up with how I have been treated since getting my diagnosis 3 months ago why has nothing been said to me about what to expect? I had my retinal screening appointment out of the blue and now I have just received a text about getting a flu jab does no-one talk any more? I am distressed each time something happens I don't know what to expect and when. I am apprehensive about the flu jab can anyone tell me if they have it? Thanks

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You say, "no notice", but how much notice did you actually receive in each case?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the way of the world now. I don't give my mobile phone number to medical centres or anywhere else. I give them my landline number. That way I avoid being texted. However, you are obviously on the right care pathway to have received appointments for retinal eye screening, and an invitation to have the flu jab, even if no-one told you to expect these! So they are looking after you in their own way.

As for the flu jab, there is a recent long thread about this on the forums if you search for it. The decision is entirely yours. Personally I always have mine. Better safe than sorry. Others will disagree. There is also a pneumonia jab, which again I had. (That is a once only jab, whereas the flu jab is every year)

Reactions: 2 people

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You say, "no notice", but how much notice did you actually receive in each case?

What I mean is I get letters/texts out of the blue inviting me to various things even the diabetic clinic was sent by text and that is next week. It's not about the practical notice it's just suddenly getting these things unexpectedly I have no idea what is coming next. I am having a hard time coping with this anyway and it seems so impersonal and invasive. I know I am being looked after I just feel a bit shocked as I don't know what to expect. I also feel if I do ever manage to switch off from diabetes for a bit then boom here is another reminder.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Flu jab is usually a doodle, just a little prick, I've been having one for years as I'm also asthamatic. Occasionally you can feel a bit rough for a couple of days afterwards, but it can't give you flu, but does protect you against the 2/3 strains which they think will be most prevelent over the winter months. Having been close to hospitalization with "just" flu and on steriods I would recommend it, but at the end of the day it's your choice what goes into your body.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I mean is I get letters/texts out of the blue inviting me to various things even the diabetic clinic was sent by text and that is next week. It's not about the practical notice it's just suddenly getting these things unexpectedly I have no idea what is coming next. I am having a hard time coping with this anyway and it seems so impersonal and invasive. I know I am being looked after I just feel a bit shocked as I don't know what to expect. I also feel if I do ever manage to switch off from diabetes for a bit then boom here is another reminder.

Perhaps you could call the Practise Manager and ask what alternatives there might be, for a while at least; explaining that when you don't know these things are coming, they cause you worry.

I doubt very much it's meant to be anything other than efficient. If we consider the costs savings in someone sending 20 texts, versus making 20 phone calls, and half the people not being available at least once........ Sadly, many of these things come down to efficiency.

Reactions: 6 people

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you could call the Practise Manager and ask what alternatives there might be, for a while at least; explaining that when you don't know these things are coming, they cause you worry.

I doubt very much it's meant to be anything other than efficient. If we consider the costs savings in someone sending 20 texts, versus making 20 phone calls, and half the people not being available at least once........ Sadly, many of these things come down to efficiency.

I see what you are saying and I'm a very teccy person anyway so I suppose texts are ok but I wish someone had sat me down at the start and said "right this is what will happen" and I would not be so shocked or surprised. I was so nervous about retinal screening but it was absolutely fine but I just got an appointment with no-one explaining this would happen so quickly. I just wonder is this my life now endless appointments and reminders that I am diabetic? I am also dreading my blood test results next week.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see what you are saying and I'm a very teccy person anyway so I suppose texts are ok but I wish someone had sat me down at the start and said "right this is what will happen" and I would not be so shocked or surprised. I was so nervous about retinal screening but it was absolutely fine but I just got an appointment with no-one explaining this would happen so quickly. I just wonder is this my life now endless appointments and reminders that I am diabetic? I am also dreading my blood test results next week.

Whilst I sort of see what you say, I would turn that on it's head and say that rather than these being constant reminders we're diabetic, I would say that it's great we're being looked after, without us individually having to think too much about the cost, and that for things like retinal screening and podiatry checks, at least we don't have to remember to book them. These are the kind of important things to have done that somehow can be de-prioritised by us, as individuals in the hurly-burly of our lives. I'm pretty positive over the years I would be tempted to become lax about them.

Or, perhaps I'm just an incurable glass half full girl. :D

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The flu jab is nothing to worry about. it's over in seconds and you hardly feel a thing, you can have a slight sore arm for a couple of days in the area where the jab was administered, also with some people their bg can go up on the day but usually settles down thereafter.

If the appointment at the gp surgery doesn't suit your timetable, go along to a pharmacy such as Asda, Tesco or Lloyd's, they provide flu jabs for free for people with diabetes and will write to your gp to inform them that you've had it done, I got mine in Asda last year whilst in there shopping.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I have the flu jab and to be honest I find it so easy and minimum fuss..just rock up at the surgery, wait a bit, quick injection (not painful) and out of there in 2 minutes, with no after effects. For that amount of fuss, it's not worth NOT having it in my opinion.

I know what you mean about feeling left in the dark and I'm having similar discussions with my care team as I come across them. Managed to talkj the endocrinologist into adding me to his GP cc list, so that's one of the list, just got to get my GI surgeon to part with results and cc me and then I'll feel happier! Sadly, it's just how it is now, but at least speak to people and see what information you can get out of them and what is realistic etc. I wasinitially expecting the world, but I'm quickly learning to let some battles go!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It will settle down once you get BG levels down and stable, The eye test appointment will be once a year and the same with your feet and flu jab. Just be warned when you go for the flu jab you might be offered a pneumonia one as well, that's just a one off and doesn't hurt. Your blood tests will vary depending on your control and every so often the DN will get you to pee in a bottle. I'm thankful that my health is monitored and I can go back if I think there's a problem, but it also seems like I'm never away from the surgery after being a once a year visitor (for my flu jab) for many years. Does the DN/GP/Clinic know that you have anxiety issues? They might be able to help you either with how your appointments are handled, refering you for some talking therapy or some medicinal help, there's no shame in having MHI don't let them control you and disrupt how you want to live.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you will find that once you are on the annual or 6-monthly reviews you effectively setup the appointment etc. My DN says 'see me in, say, 6 months time' and arranges a blood test form and then I arrange the blood test date and review appointment. Basically you need to ensure you are in control and don't wait for the surgery to do things; complain politely if needed.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are very lucky. At least they are doing something to help you. I have not had such good luck.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I prefer to have reminders sent to me however if this with somebody just diagnosed I can see it as being awful.

The nurse or gp should really have explained the need for these tests at diagnosis and that you can opt in or out of having text reminders.

Our GP practice sends out reminders by letter for tests etc when your birthday comes round each year. Generated automatically by computer for every person that has high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes etc. that way they can hit the target levels of peesons getting these tests done by one letter. The letters are really good stating whether you've had feet checks, ir bloods etc done and what is outstanding like urine tests....it makes a huge saving for our Practice rather than sending out a constant flow of reminders for each individual test...

As you get used to diabetes it may seem less bothersome. If you don't like txt reminders you can ask them to remove your phone number.

A

AnnieC

I am really fed up with how I have been treated since getting my diagnosis 3 months ago why has nothing been said to me about what to expect? I had my retinal screening appointment out of the blue and now I have just received a text about getting a flu jab does no-one talk any more? I am distressed each time something happens I don't know what to expect and when. I am apprehensive about the flu jab can anyone tell me if they have it? Thanks
Yes you should have it
This is the way of the world now. I don't give my mobile phone number to medical centres or anywhere else. I give them my landline number. That way I avoid being texted. However, you are obviously on the right care pathway to have received appointments for retinal eye screening, and an invitation to have the flu jab, even if no-one told you to expect these! So they are looking after you in their own way.

As for the flu jab, there is a recent long thread about this on the forums if you search for it. The decision is entirely yours. Personally I always have mine. Better safe than sorry. Others will disagree. There is also a pneumonia jab, which again I had. (That is a once only jab, whereas the flu jab is every year)
I agee I think the flu jab is a must

Reactions: 3 people