First holiday as a T1- advice needed

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I'm soon going to Turkey on my first holiday as a T1. I'm a bit nervous. I've got all equipment planned, spare insulin, needles, meter, battery, letter from the doc, gluco sweets for the flight.

Is there anything else I need to pack that I might not have thought of?

What about insurance? do I declare it?

Can I inject my humalog after eating once I know what I've had?

Where do I dispose of my needles?

So many questions!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went on holiday for the first time after being diagnosed t1 so i know how it feels! Definitely tell your insurance company just in case something happens, otherwise you might not be covered for it. I took a sharps box with me for the 2 weeks I was there and then just left it there when we came home. On the plane I just had like a small vitamin box to put my sharps in then put them in the bigger sharps box when I got there. One thing that I found was that i needed considerably less insulin on holiday especially when walking, swimming etc. so just be aware of that. Hope tis has helped!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah great thanks. Didn't even think of where to put sharps whilst on the plane :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes certainly let your insurance know that you have diabetes. You can get the small travel size sharps bin for holidays, they are cheap as chips on the likes of Amazon & Ebay.

As for injecting, always make sure you know how many carbs are on your plate before injecting, so it's wise to wait until the food arrives on your table.

You look as if you've got everything else sorted, you might want to get a letter aslo from your GP, Consultant or DSN to say you have type 1 diabetes, it's also a good idea tto carry a copy of your repeat prescription in case you need any diabetes supplies whilst in Turkey, if some of your supplies were lost or stolen you can present the repeat slip to a local Dr or pharmacy.

Above all else, enjoy your holiday and stay safe :)

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hadn't thought about repeat prescription! Good idea. Thanks for the tips :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hadn't thought about repeat prescription! Good idea. Thanks for the tips :)

It might just do rather than getting a Dr's letter, but they always say to get a letter but very few ever get asked for one at airports, however it's some reassurance to have one just in case you did get stopped. Just be aware mind, if you do ask your gp for a letter they may charge you, if you ask your diabetes consultant or dsn they will give you a letter for nothing.

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I'm soon going to Turkey on my first holiday as a T1. I'm a bit nervous. I've got all equipment planned, spare insulin, needles, meter, battery, letter from the doc, gluco sweets for the flight.

Is there anything else I need to pack that I might not have thought of?

What about insurance? do I declare it?

Can I inject my humalog after eating once I know what I've had?

Where do I dispose of my needles?

So many questions!
Hi I am in turkey just now in lara beach
This is my first holiday as a type 1 as well just make sure you have everything you need I was advised to take a month supply for a 2 week holiday.
As far as the needle goes I have a plastic drinkers bottle and put all my meddles and any other in it so will dispose of it when I get home
One other thing I have done the DAFNE course so try and count the carbs for my injections back home not to bad on holiday don't think I have got it wright yet I am always high so just be aware of that and JUST ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY
And the last week it has been 41 in the sun so make sure you have a frio pouch to keep your insulin cool

Reactions: 4 people

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
I get a BD CLIPPER on prescription it a little device slightly bigger than a lighter and it will safely clip the ends off any needles/ lancets , sorts about 300 needle tips , and like a previous post I then deposit the plastic part left in a strong squash plastic bottle or plastic milk carton, , I was also told that in turkey you are able to buy meds without scripts , including insulin, thankfully I did not need to try it out, keep all meds together I use a large wash bag , and if possible in boxes that you received from chemists in uk as they are labelled with your name , and extra details that make it easy to check, ( my meds were checked at Bodrum airport for return flight home, ),. Enjoy the holiday ,

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was about to suggest a Frio pouch to keep your insulin at optimum temperature . I would suggest the large size to carry two pens plus spares or insulin cartridges and the small one for daily carrying about.

http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com

It's fine to inject Humalog after eating for a short while such as a holiday, it takes a tad longer to kick in than some rapid insulins, so your BG levels may reflect this so expect some changeout don't stress about it . They will probably be different to what you're used to and expect on holiday anyway .

Make sure all diabetic kit especially insulins are in your hand baggage, luggage can and does go astray and the extreme temperatures of the hold affects insulin.

Enjoy your hols ! :D

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
I also had a credit size pard with some very basic info in the language of country I am in , I have - I am diabetic, I need a doctor, I need some sugar, and also where you are staying,

Tinkerbell87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you are on the plane, make sure you have your insulin/medication under the seat in front of you and not stored above your head. If you need it and the fasten seat belts sign is on some air lines refuse to let you get it from above your head.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So far so good.... Except, note to self, do night time injection before copious amount of alcohol.... Ouch!!! :eek:

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Frio wallets without a doubt are a must. My husband (type 1) and i just returned from italy and they were excellent for keeping his insulin cool in the warmer italian climate - my husband swears they are one of the best inventions for diabetics he has ever come across in his 24 years as a diabetic (other than the blood sugar test kit of course......). We also took several packs of dextrose tablets and glucogel on our trip as well as spare needles, test strips, lancets etc. :)