Am I diabetic?

peetawalker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I've recently been told I'm diabetic.

My story begins from a visit to the GP For chest pains ( cause is Gastroesophageal reflux disease ) I was sent for a fasting blood test which give me a glucose result of 54, I was told to repeat the test 4 weeks later which I did! the result was blood glucose of 56.

The nurse practitioner called me to say there was a prescription for me at reception of Metformin 500mg and I needed to take it and repeat my blood tests in 6 months end of story.

I feel quite let down by the NHS and I know nothing more about my condition.

Am I prediabetic? or type 2?

Thanks

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds to me as if you are diabetic type 2. It also sounds to me as if your local medical practice is a ***?!**!!!.
So, you are going to have to find out about things for yourself. Do have a read around this web site and forum and then come back and ask as many questions as you like.
The key thing is to get your blood sugars down. Metformin will not do this for you, you will have to change your diet and the diet, which is generally regarded as most successful, is Low Carb. In other words, cutting out most bread, pasta, pastry , potatoes, cereals and rice as well as sugar and sugary foods and drinks. YOu also need to test your own blood sugars. Once every six months is next to useless. You will need to buy a meter. There's lot's of info here about this and lots of other people will be along with advice.
Sally

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds as if those are HBA1c figures, though I can't see why your test would be 'fasting' in that case. Perhaps they did other tests.

Assuming it was HBA1c, I was 86 and I refused Metformin and within 12 weeks of diet and exercise, I was at 48. With more weight loss, a few months later I was at 36. Eating healthier foods, increased physical activity and weight loss all contribute greatly. It is not hype. It works for many people.

Your experience is sadly common. This is from Professor Roy Taylor, a researcher into diabetes, writing in the journal, Practical Diabetes:

"It must be recorded that many individuals expressed frustration at the routine manner in which their doctor, nurse or dietitian regarded the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. This conflicted with the cataclysmic blow which they personally felt. They were told that the diagnosis was clear and therefore the guidelines will be rolled out. Lose some weight and take this metformin. Get used to it."

Have a look at the Newcastle University web site on diabetes:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

peetawalker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shocking!

I know a little about it as my Mother is type 1 and I tested my blood on her monitor regularly the monitor still shows 4.1

the metformin has knocked me extremely ill for the last 4 days since starting it.