CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Good to hear.

I had an appointment for a cataract op back in February under local anaesthetic but when the time came I had a major panic attack so they rescheduled for me to have op under general. However my diabetes control is too erratic as I have a thyroid issue too which plays havoc. My cataract is getting worse to the extent its like the world is permanently foggy. I'm considering going for the local op and maybe taking valium to help. Have to say the whole thing is scaring the hell out of me

Hi Jilly, worry not your op can be done under sedation with no problems to your diabetes. All that happens is nil by mouth you have a cannula in the back of your hand where the sedative goes. You are under as much as the anaesthetist wants and needs you to be. You are back to normal as soon as the sedative has worn off. I was very scared as well as hate anything near my eyes. The sedative route I would recommend to anyone.

Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to hear.

I had an appointment for a cataract op back in February under local anaesthetic but when the time came I had a major panic attack so they rescheduled for me to have op under general. However my diabetes control is too erratic as I have a thyroid issue too which plays havoc. My cataract is getting worse to the extent its like the world is permanently foggy. I'm considering going for the local op and maybe taking valium to help. Have to say the whole thing is scaring the hell out of me
Hi!
You can have a local anesthetic with a sedation (@Spiker had this) or a GA. I was freaking out as well, but with GA you fall asleep before the op and wake up when it's done! I was surprised how fast I was out, I only remember my anesthesiologist telling me to take deep breaths from an oxygen mask and saying "sweet dreams". And then I woke up with an eye patch, hour later! It took some time for the GA to wear off, I slept through most of the next 2 days.
The whole op is painless. There is some pain afterwards, basically a headache, but a regular painkillers help with that. You're supposed to rest for a few days and take the drops.

It's well worth it! My left eye was one big fog, I didn't see almost anything through it.now it's like a new world, I'm surprised every day :) I would recommend you go for it. If you have someone to be there with you,it helps a lot.

Best wishes!

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, rude people
Hi!
You can have a local anesthetic with a sedation (@Spiker had this) or a GA. I was freaking out as well, but with GA you fall asleep before the op and wake up when it's done! I was surprised how fast I was out, I only remember my anesthesiologist telling me to take deep breaths from an oxygen mask and saying "sweet dreams". And then I woke up with an eye patch, hour later! It took some time for the GA to wear off, I slept through most of the next 2 days.
The whole op is painless. There is some pain afterwards, basically a headache, but a regular painkillers help with that. You're supposed to rest for a few days and take the drops.

It's well worth it! My left eye was one big fog, I didn't see almost anything through it.now it's like a new world, I'm surprised every day :) I would recommend you go for it. If you have someone to be there with you,it helps a lot.

Best wishes!

Thank you. Thats very encouragiing and I will stop listening to the horror stories. At the moment I have to improve my HBa1c which is stuck on 11mmol and they wont operate until then. My gp and diabetic nurse are working towards this goal with me though. So glad your op was a success :) x

Reactions: 2 people