Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi All
I am a 33 year old perfectly healthy until ..........
I was sent to a and e by my gp just over a week ago, was admitted to hospital and on a drip for 3 days to get rid of the ketones my body had built up and to rehydrate me.
Had the thirst for 2 and a half weeks before my doctors appointment and within 2 hours of being in hospital was told I was type 1 diabetic.
Luckily for the past 2 years I had been calorie counting so found carb counting to be fairly easy.
After 1 week at home injecting 6 units before each meal I had my meeting with the diabetic clinic and a DAFNE course leader. Got my head around ratios and for the past 2 days have kept my BS between 4 and 10 constantly using a 1:15 ratio, really hope I can manage my levels moving forward.
Good luck to everybody newly diagnosed, it seems like a mountain of information when you are newly diagnosed but it will all sink in quite quickly. I try to learn at least one new thing about type 1 each day

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If is a lot of info to take on board initially. It sounds as if you are doing very well.

Glad to hear that you are one of very few nowadays that are actually admitted in to hospital and given guidance in carb counting....

You will have alterations to dosages to make at some point..... Unfortunately..... Even the change of hour twice a year affects me!! I guess prob cos hotter/colder weather impacts on my body working outdoors.

Always sad to hear of another type 1. However, you have joined the best place for advice.. And debates!!

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions...x

Reactions: 4 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Welcome to the forum, it's a great place for advice and wisdom :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum, really pleased your coping well with things :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Glad to hear that you are one of very few nowadays that are actually admitted in to hospital and given guidance in carb counting....

Wonder why it ever changed, granted injecting with glass syringes and using two insulins in the same syringe was trickier than what we have now with the insulin pens, but you would think that all type 1's would be admitted until they got their bg under control, felt comfortable with injecting/ testing bg and getting to grips with the concept of carb counting.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Can't believe it isn't standard practice. I was undiagnosed and when admitted to hospital my ketone were 7.2 and my BS was 20.6. My long term average had been 13.5% or 18.1 mmol/L.