Goaded into eating carbo-laden food.

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The other day I went to the staff restaurant. The only meat available was fatty sausages and turkey, which I'm not keen on. So I settled on just brocolli and carrots with gravy. I was fine with that; absolutely fine. However, the serving chef couldn't cope with my choices. He paused, put on a puzzled face and offered mashed potato as well. I politely declined and said I was happy with just broccoli and carrots. More bewildered looks from him, before he suggested I have chips. For the third time I insisted I my original request stood. But his attitude niggled me.

Similarly I have a colleague who takes an interest in my lunches, which I often have at my desk. Every meal time she wants to know what I'm having. And invariably she will immediately suggest alternatives to what I'm eating etc "You could have had peas or cauliflower with that" as if her revolutionary advice will lead me to rush out to the nearest supermarket to stock up. Conversely, since my diagnosis she has tried t push me to have a cake or chocolate bar here and there (neither of which I've touched since May) and it makes me think she believes Type 2 diabetes is like being on a weight loss diet i.e a consequence-free diet you can opt out of any time if you feel like a treat or a blow out.

Most people are fine and leave me to it.

But has anyone else suffered patronising behaviour when you decline certain food?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The other day I went to the staff restaurant. The only meat available was fatty sausages and turkey, which I'm not keen on. So I settled on just brocolli and carrots with gravy. I was fine with that; absolutely fine. However, the serving chef couldn't cope with my choices. He paused, put on a puzzled face and offered mashed potato as well. I politely declined and said I was happy with just broccoli and carrots. More bewildered looks from him, before he suggested I have chips. For the third time I insisted I my original request stood. But his attitude niggled me.

Similarly I have a colleague who takes an interest in my lunches, which I often have at my desk. Every meal time she wants to know what I'm having. And invariably she will immediately suggest alternatives to what I'm eating etc "You could have had peas or cauliflower with that" as if her revolutionary advice will lead me to rush out to the nearest supermarket to stock up. Conversely, since my diagnosis she has tried t push me to have a cake or chocolate bar here and there (neither of which I've touched since May) and it makes me think she believes Type 2 diabetes is like being on a weight loss diet i.e a consequence-free diet you can opt out of any time if you feel like a treat or a blow out.

But has anyone else suffered patronising behaviour when you decline certain food?

Yes

But, unless they hold me down, and feed it through a funnel, it doesn't affect me.
I eat what I want to, the rest stays as a sticky blob on the plate.

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Guess you need to spend a night in a bar in Glasgow.
It's one of the places I had an interesting time in.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

hello Kitty, I guess you found out it's not good to post late into the evening (I think they drink)
I'm 105kg so no one offers me food, it's more "are you sure you want to eat that"
but it's caring for you, I know it doesn't feel like it, let them put it on your plate, but don't eat it. will that work?
tell them you are on a atkins diet and you can't eat carbs, or any diet really, people accept someone eating what they consider funny, if they are on a diet

or take them aside when there is no food about and thank them for their concern and tell them this is what the dr told you to eat for lunch, a big deep and meaningful

Reactions: 6 people

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I sometimes get people asking if I'm sure I don't want any to which I decline.

I also bring in a packed lunch for work and some colleagues look at my lunch with curiosity and ask what I'm eating. I always explain and also add in it's better for my sugar levels.

Maybe take time to explain your diet and how it helps your diabetes if you haven't already.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi kitty,

Yes, it's a pain, isn't it?

Ironically, for the way my body works, I would have had to go for the fatty meat and broccoli, and left the carrots and gravy.

I think people (like the chef) take it as a personal affront if you reject their food.

You should have seen the sulk when I asked my mother to use less salt (it was making me constantly thirsty!). Luckily it was while we were visiting, so we could escape. But the sulk lasted months.

Re your colleague who comments on your lunches... My goodness, I've had enough of that to last a lifetime.

I'm afraid I let people do it once. The second time, I start shooting from the hip. And I never waste time debatng my food options with them. I just point out that I'm not rude enough to comment on their bad food choices, so I would appreciate them to extend me the same courtesy.

It usually stops them dead. But if they splutter, I just start talking about carbs, blood glucose, the scientific invalidity of the Healthy Plate, and they soon run for cover.

Reactions: 9 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re your colleague who comments on your lunches... My goodness, I've had enough of that to last a lifetime.

I'm afraid I let people do it once. The second time, I start shooting from the hip. And I never waste time debatng my food options with them. I just point out that I'm not rude enough to comment on their bad food choices, so I would appreciate them to extend me the same courtesy.

It usually stops them dead. But if they splutter, I just start talking about carbs, blood glucose, the scientific invalidity of the Healthy Plate, and they soon run for cover.

Heh heh that's the spirit Brunneria! One fair warning, then if they're still coming on, give 'em both barrels! :-D

Reactions: 2 people