High hba1c levels,

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@lily1974 A swig of milk does raise my blood sugar.

Am I reading this correctly? You injected 2 units of insulin for 40g of pasta and chargrilled chicken. What were your meter readings at 2 and 4 hours ?

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That was 2 hours after I had eaten, I'm off to work now and won't be able to retrieve any messages til I get home so I'm not ignoring you I just don't get any service.

Thank You

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At 2 hours there is still insulin on board and 8.2 isn't bad. The test at 4 hours should tell you whether there has been a gradual fall or whether blood sugar has begun to rise again.

Reactions: 2 people

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dinner reading tonight was 6.8 I took 5 units of novo rapid as to what the machine said for me to take,my lunchtime reading was 8.3 I had 4 units of novo rapid,tonight for dinner I had a jacket potatoe with cheese and coleslaw, it seems that my blood levels seem to rise thro the night but are fine thro the day, do I do a extra injection of novo rapid before I go to bed?if so should I have a biscuit of something as I was told I have to eat after I have done a injection! Thank You

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot advise you to inject Novorapid before going to bed. Some people on here set an alarm to wake up during the night to measure blood glucose. Keep good notes about food input, activity and BS readings then talk to your health team for suggestions.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
5.5 was good pre meal... What was it 2 hours after?

Your tiredness concerns me. Have you spiken to your gp about this?

I drink a lot of coffee.. Always with full fat milk or cream and no spikes... But that may well be me. Certainly in 30+ years T1 I have never had any NHS person tell me to stop having milk.

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Due to retake blood test in 1hour after my dinner, when I spoke to the doctors and diabetic nurse they have both said that as my levels are bad that is why I feel so tired and once it was under control I would feel a different person and have plenty of energy!! I do drink a lot of hot drinks thro the day well (8-9)cups a day, still not convinced that is does a lot of difference to my levels.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think I drink more than you!

Have they ever tested your b12 or vit D levels? Most would do thyroid and Iron but many GP's do not consider the other tests.

The other thing to consider is boredom... Boredom and getting depressed and habit can cause things like sleeping as soon as you get home from work...

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never had b12 or vit d tests, thyroid etc checked and they are all normal, I'm seeing the diabetic nurse on the 16th oct so I will ask her then, thank you

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If you explain that you really are trying very hard to get your levels improved but are still so tired and ask for these specific tests. They could refuse.... But hopefully won't..

It is common nowadays for many people to be low in vit D, not just diabetics. So they should know this.

How are your waking levels?

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My waking levels are always high this morning it was 14.0 but thro the day I think they are good...they are always double figures in the morning

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Taking lantus solostar in morning msy well mean that it is running out when you need it most (at night).

Hopefully other expert injectioning T1's will come along and offer advice on this. I'm a pump user and pretty much forgotten basal lantus usage..

Do you eat breakfast? What time would you normally see these high morning levels drop?

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take it at 8.20 am along with my breakfast, that can be toast or a nut breakfast bar which I eat on the way! I don't test my blood until lunch time so I have no idea what it is, maybe I should so I have a lot clearer idea where I'm at.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you think that your basal is at the correct amount? The long acting insulin is supposed to maintain blood sugar at a stable level when you have achieved the correct dose. I was advised that the total insulin injected in one day should be 0.5 units of insulin for each kilogram of my weight. Half of the total insulin calculated is injected as long acting once every 24 hours. The remaining insulin is spread over my meals.

My total daily insulin is about 28 units and is about the correct amount for my weight .My long acting insulin is 14 units once a day - in the evening. The remaining 14 units of fast acting insulin is spread over my food intake. If I find that my waking BS level is higher than expected I increase the long acting insulin by one unit. If I find the BS level is too low (below 4) I reduce the long acting insulin by one unit. The changes do take a couple of days to take effect.

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take my long lasting injection in the morning was night to start of with but she changed it! I think that when I speak to her on the 16th I'm going to have a list of things that I would like her to change as something is so not right here. I know everyone is different but I seem to be old hat that I haven't changed from when I was first diagnosed 27yrs ago, prob a lot on my side as well but it just needs to all change.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dinner reading tonight was 6.8 I took 5 units of novo rapid as to what the machine said for me to take,my lunchtime reading was 8.3 I had 4 units of novo rapid,tonight for dinner I had a jacket potatoe with cheese and coleslaw, it seems that my blood levels seem to rise thro the night but are fine thro the day, do I do a extra injection of novo rapid before I go to bed?if so should I have a biscuit of something as I was told I have to eat after I have done a injection! Thank You

Not advisable to inject QA before bed as you may hypo whilst asllep, you need to do some basal testing (I'm sure we have said this before lily) to determine if your lantus is set at the right dose, have a look at the following on how to carry out basal testing, when you get that part right you can then look at your meal-time ratio's:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

If your basal insulin is running out and not lasting 24 hours, speak with your DSN about split-dosing or change to an alternative insulin, Trsiba is a new basal that lasts up to 42 hours.

Reactions: 2 people