Sore & blistered feet

EXSMOKER

Hi,

Since diagnosed with diabetes I have done plenty of walking. Two weeks ago I had a cortisone injection for tennis elbow. The next day I went on my normal route wearing trainers I have worn for ages. The balls of me feet blistered. So I have reduced the amount of walking as my feet are still very sore. My doctor says he has never heard of this.

Has anyone on here experienced anything similar please ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Maybe you need a new pair of trainers, just be careful with the blisters as they can become infected and the healing time can take longer for some people with diabetes, if in doubt go back and see your gp again and have your feet examined.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Do you use cream? I use flexitol with almond oil mixed in and the body shop hemp foot protector is excellent but very expensive at £10 a pot!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Are you a driver...? The souls of the trainers could be perished through the foot pedal wear...?

I had a similar issue in Spain last year.. A nice pair of old but tidy skate/deck trainers.. Found myself walking a fair few miles along the coast line.
After a couple of days I had what felt like a stone in my shoe on the ball of my foot. Removing the shoe there was no stone but the pain got worse like the sole of my foot was getting pinched with the start of a blister..?
Further inspection of the sole of the trainer revealed the tread had worn away & a crack on corresponding widthways had appeared on the sole of the shoe which was pinching my foot...
They were actually the only shoes I had with me apart from sandals...
The cool of our apartment tilled floor was a relief on my bare foot, plus a new pair of shoes, which i painfully walked 8 miles to purchase... Lol
My foot was back to normal a day or so after that..
I rarely get any problems with my feet...

EXSMOKER

Maybe you need a new pair of trainers, just be careful with the blisters as they can become infected and the healing time can take longer for some people with diabetes, if in doubt go back and see your gp again and have your feet examined.
I said worn for ages to avoid anyone thinking they might have been new. In fact I have 3 pairs of varying ages and all three are making the balls of my feet sore.

EXSMOKER

Hi,

Are you a driver...? The souls of the trainers could be perished through the foot pedal wear...?

I had a similar issue in Spain last year.. A nice pair of old but tidy skate/deck trainers.. Found myself walking a fair few miles along the coast line.
After a couple of days I had what felt like a stone in my shoe on the ball of my foot. Removing the shoe there was no stone but the pain got worse like the sole of my foot was getting pinched with the start of a blister..?
Further inspection of the sole of the trainer revealed the tread had worn away & a crack on corresponding widthways had appeared on the sole of the shoe which was pinching my foot...
They were actually the only shoes I had with me apart from sandals...
The cool of our apartment tilled floor was a relief on my bare foot, plus a new pair of shoes, which i painfully walked 8 miles to purchase... Lol
My foot was back to normal a day or so after that..
I rarely get any problems with my feet...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I said worn for ages to avoid anyone thinking they might have been new. In fact I have 3 pairs of varying ages and all three are making the balls of my feet sore.

As part of your diabetes care plan you are entitled to see a Podiatrist if your having problems with your feet, I would book an appointment and get them to check your feet and footwear to make sure they fit your feet properly.

Reactions: 2 people

EXSMOKER

Hi Jaylee,

That sounds very similar to what happened to me. The only thing is that there are no cracks in any of my 3 pairs of trainers.
Had you had a cortisone injection ? That seemed to be the trigger for me but perhaps it was a total coincidence.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee,

That sounds very similar to what happened to me. The only thing is that there are no cracks in any of my 3 pairs of trainers.
Had you had a cortisone injection ? That seemed to be the trigger for me but perhaps it was a total coincidence.

No cortisone injections.. Just re read your initial post which looks like your wondering if the injection for the tennis elbow might have had a link to the foot thing...?
Sorry I kind of waffled on a tangent..
Maybe the insole is loose & just causing some sort of chaffing?

kumarv

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think, problems on soles is more serious because these become difficult to heal due to continious pressure.

Reactions: 2 people