Ketosis ketostix

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is KETOSIS and why are people aiming for it?

What:

Nutritional ketosis is when your body derives most of its energy from fat (including intermediate products of fat breakdown called ketones). Reliance on carbohydrates is reduced to a minimum. This happens automagically when carb consumption (and to a much lesser extent protein consumption) fall below a certain level that varies for each individual.

Why:

Various reasons.

-To help lose weight in a more sustainable way, without the hunger cravings and insulin swings that come from a calorie-restricted but high carb diet.

-To regulate blood glucose better, because smaller amounts of carbs mean smaller amounts of insulin mean smaller dosing errors, mean fewer and smaller highs and lows in blood glucose.

-On the theory that the high insulin levels and swings caused by carbs are a major cause of "metabolic syndrome" - cardiovascular disease etc

-To outpace carb-using athletes in extreme endurance events such as running marathon distance or greater

Take your pick. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being in ketosis can also reduce any "brain fog" you might be suffereing, and I understand that the brain actually functions better on fat/ketone power. I've also read somewhere on the web ( haven't a clue where though :( - but I think it might have been in relation to research on Alzheimers and low carb diets) that your brain can become insulin resistant, so more reasons for you! I thought my befuddled state was due to advancing old age, and was pleasantly surprised when low carbing changed this and I have a (relatively!!) clear head once again and no longer live in an awful zombie-like state. If for nothing else this would be cause enough for me to love ketosis!

I rarely went more than pale pink with my Ketostix, the couple of times they went darker was definitely when I wasn't drinking enough. Eventually I wasn't seeing any reaction at all, which was quite frustrating until I learnt why this might be. But I did notice on occasion I did have "ketone breath".

I ended up getting a Ketonix ketone breathalyser after they were originally mentioned in a thread by @borofergie. You can buy them online from their Swedish inventor; they're a bit expensive, but probably long term cheaper than using masses of Ketostix as it's a one-off cost.

Robbity

Reactions: 8 people

alliebee

Well I'm a theatre sister newly retired and I called in a favour from an endo collegue. I now am borrowing a blood keytone machine...although I have to say as many on here have you just 'know' when you are fat burning. You feel so different. I'm 3 and a half weeks in and keto stix aren't showing any more. As I was told this may happen...but according to my pal and the meter I am very definately in ketosis ( and feeling great) so anyone out there feeling sad cos the stix stay tan...don't worry. My endo friend says if you are having less than 40g of carbs. And moderate protein you will be in ketosis.

Reactions: 5 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi,

i bought one of those meters and 5 boxes of strips which is meant to last me a year. wasn't trying to be too scientific, just wanted some reassurance that i was indeed in ketosis. more for my peace of mind than anything.

anyway, weeks 3-6 saw my range between 1.5-2.5. but in the last couple of weeks, range has dropped 1-1.4.

honestly don't know why or what that means. so technically, according to the literature, i am in "light" ketosis and no longer in "optimal nutritional" ketosis. i test on a weekly basis. can anyone shed some light on this?

thks

alliebee

I'm no expert but if its showing any level of serum keytones you are in ketosis. I'm sure someone more expert will be along to advise you @jack412 or @Spiker know a lot more. Good luck

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are still in the nutritional ketosis range. Check the Phinney and Volek (sp?) book

alliebee

Ok folks nearly 8 weeks in to ketosis. In the last week or so I've raised by carbs from 20g (grim) to 35 and now to 45 g. Still well in ketosis amd weight falling off. Approx 2 lbs a week...you actually don't need stix or a serum keytone meter at this point. You really do just feel it..I'm sticking to this awhile because I felt a blip trying sweet potatoes last night. But I got away with it despite the high readings still well into optimimum nutritional levels ( thanks @Spiker ).. this way of eating is my godsend...I'm going to try other foods but keep to this carb level as much as I can

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok folks nearly 8 weeks in to ketosis. In the last week or so I've raised by carbs from 20g (grim) to 35 and now to 45 g. Still well in ketosis amd weight falling off. Approx 2 lbs a week...you actually don't need stix or a serum keytone meter at this point. You really do just feel it..I'm sticking to this awhile because I felt a blip trying sweet potatoes last night. But I got away with it despite the high readings still well into optimimum nutritional levels ( thanks @Spiker ).. this way of eating is my godsend...I'm going to try other foods but keep to this carb level as much as I can

i think you are absolutely right. especially if the weight keeps falling off. positive indicator in my opinion.

certainly a "nice to have" item. as i posted elsewhere, had a really good week. followed advice from modesty & brunneria. lost 5lbs :) & true enough my ketone level was 2.5 which is the highest its been so far.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the most sustainable, enjoyable way of eating is the one where you have the highest no of carbs your body can tolerate.

And we all have a unique level.

So if you can eat well, avoid carb cravings and lose weight (if desired), with good BG levels, then go for it! :D