8yrs old daughter type 1 shocked!

Stansfieldsara

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya my 8 year old daughter is newly diagnosed type 1. This was after being admitted to high dependcy unit at the local hospital after keytones of over 7. I am myself a nurse but this has shocked and knocked me totally off. There is no family history of type 1 in both sides. Does anyone have any advice for us all pls? I feel so lost

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi
I was diagnosed with type 1 on 11th September so know just what a shock it is. I am 33 and have no family history of this and was perfectly healthy before this. I was in icu for 4 days on a drip after having ketone level of 7.2 and bs of 25 mmol/L. 2 weeks later I am now carb counting and matching my insulin to this, quite complex but it is manageable with some effort. Hope your daughter is feeling ok and I am sure you will all cope well with this

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Many of us have no family history of diabetes; either T1 or T2. It does therefore come as a shock. Do ask any questions although as a nurse you probably have some idea of the insulin aspect. Do ask specific questions about insulin on the T1 forum. I gather many of the younger ones now go onto a pump fairly early on which seems to work well for most.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry tabout your daughters diagnosis, that must have come as an awful shock to you all. All I would suggest is keep in touch with her diabetes team and be guided by what they say. There's a book, which by all accounts is very good and the parents of type 1 children often mention it on this and other forums, it's called Type 1 Diabetes in Children Adolescents by Ragnar Hanas, if you read the reviews on the likes of Amazon you will see it's worthy of purchasing.
I was diagnosed at 18, no one to my knowledge had type 1 in my family before then

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Kids under 12 with our CCG are offered pumps immediately upon diagnosis. I know of a parent that comes on here who also had her daughter start a pump at 8 years old. It tough for both child.. More so parents I believe initially, but her health and wellbeing are better controlled with a pump than previous when she was on mdi...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
CGM is constant glucose monitor
CCG are the commisikning care groups that pay the hospitals and deem to Your specific hospitals what they will allow patients. I.e some CCG's will allow patients funded CGM's. The majority don't. My current CCG do not fund a special cream that I have as it's £126 a tube!! My last CCG did pay for the cream..I now pay it myself.

Reactions: 2 people