Diabetic Neuropathy

relph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who bully
Hi everyone I am new to this Forum although I have been following for some time now. I was diagnosed with type 2 just on 2 years ago. I managed to get all my numbers (diabetes, lipids etc) all under control within the first 3 months. I did this by cutting out all sugars and grains and doing lots of walking. I have always followed a low fat diet (big mistake it seems) with lots of healthy grains, veg and protein. I also was an avid baker and baked at least one cake per week which was shared by family and visitors. Anyway my question is: Is it possible to develop diabetic neuropathy when blood sugars are under control? Most of my numbers range from 5 (before meals) anywhere up to 6.5 (after meals). The only high ones are morning fasting numbers. I sometimes get 5.5 or 5.7 but most mornings they are between 6 and 6.8. Sorry for this long winded blurb but I wanted to give some back ground. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who can help. I started getting this tingling in my toes and fingers about a week ago. My last HBA1C was 5.7 and this was 4 months ago. Thank you so much:angelic:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum Relph.

I suspect anyone can get problems with diabetic neuropathy but this would be particularly so for those who have uncontrolled diabetes, although the symptoms that you describe may be unrelated to your diabetes so it's best to get checked out by your gp and get a proper diagnosis.

Reactions: 3 people

relph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who bully
Welcome to the forum Relph.

I suspect anyone can get problems with diabetic neuropathy but this would be particularly so for those who have uncontrolled diabetes, although the symptoms that you describe may be unrelated to your diabetes so it's best to get checked out by your gp and get a proper diagnosis.

Thank you for your response noblehead - I will make a doctor's appointment asap. It's a bit of a worry considering how careful I am with everything.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you keep your sugars in the good range it's highly unlikely that you will suffer neuropathy due to diabetes but there are many other causes so do ask the GP

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 4 people

relph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who bully
Thank you very much @Brunneria, @this is too difficult two and @Daibell - I so appreciate this invaluable information. I am new to this forum and forums in general. To think that I hesitated before joining but I can see that I needn't have worried. This information has given me hope as I would rather be dealing with a B12 deficiency than the problem of neuropathy. I can see where I could have developed a B12 problem as I have cut my food intake right down and eating very differently to my norm. I do eat more plant based food and only have meat, eggs etc once or twice a week and of course no cereal!

relph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who bully
Thank you again @this is too difficult two. I just had a look at the Chris Kresser link you posted and I have to be honest I had no idea - a real eye opener. I will definitely look into this sooner rather than later.

relph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who bully
So it was....my apologies Brunneria;)