Confused! !

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will be honest, I dont bother checking as my other half is a proper mother hen and has been making lots of adjustments to our meals to make them more 'me' friendly, she has taken all charge of the meals and knowing her there is very little in them. I am a very lucky man.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will be honest, I dont bother checking as my other half is a proper mother hen and has been making lots of adjustments to our meals to make them more 'me' friendly, she has taken all charge of the meals and knowing her there is very little in them. I am a very lucky man.
There is the problem then mate.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So if for example you have potatoes, how many do you have? What about bread? Rice? Pasta? Pastry? Batter? Cereals?

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see, a slice of toast for breakfast, maybe a sandwich for lunch, granary bread, but mainly salads. Dont eat pasta or rice as im not a fan of them, if I have potatoes maybe 2 if they are small. Its very rare I have anything that consists of pastry. Dont really like anything battered, and if I have cereal its usually porridge in the winter. I am however a massive fan of fresh veg, hence the reason I have a very small lawn and a passion for homegrown!!

Sorry I misunderstood the questions, forgive my ignorance/stupidity.

Reactions: 2 people

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone can handle different amounts of carbohydrates. If you don't weigh it and measure its effect you are just guessing.

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand that, but thats why I am asking for help, I have found this all so much to take in and thats why I am confused!

Reactions: 3 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
@jamesthebear Forgive me for chiming in here, but if you can't afford a blood glucose meter that will make your blood sugar difficult to manage, but not impossible. Did you ever have your fasting blood glucose measured? If so what was it? If your fasting blood glucose is not high, then it's your food that is giving you high HbA1c results.

People can survive quite well on a very low carb diet. If you can't test, then really you should avoid all carbs at breakfast and keep them as low as you can for other meals. I mean literally as low as you can. Not have a meter means you have no idea how much carbs in meal will cause a rise in your blood glucose to be too high. It's possible a couple of small potatoes could be trouble for you. :depressed:

Also, I'm surprised they didn't put you on metformin.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jamesthebear Forgive me for chiming in here, but if you can't afford a blood glucose meter that will make your blood sugar difficult to manage, but not impossible. Did you ever have your fasting blood glucose measured? If so what was it? If your fasting blood glucose is not high, then it's your food that is giving you high HbA1c results.

People can survive quite well on a very low carb diet. If you can't test, then really you should avoid all carbs at breakfast and keep them as low as you can for other meals. I mean literally as low as you can. Not have a meter means you have no idea how much carbs in meal will cause a rise in your blood glucose to be too high. It's possible a couple of small potatoes could be trouble for you. :depressed:

Also, I'm surprised they didn't put you on metformin.
He is on metformin. I agree if you cant test you should keep your carbs as low as is reasonable.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
I understand that, but thats why I am asking for help, I have found this all so much to take in and thats why I am confused!
Jamesthebear,

As I mentioned earlier lots of advice and info, couple of things counting calories and carbs is essential, otherwise how do you know what you are putting into your body. It's all about check , check , check to start with, honestly it get easier tin time.

Keep questioning we are all different and what works for one person may not work for another.

Reactions: 4 people

jamesthebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgiven!! ;-) I am on metformin, as I said before, im currently unemployed so, silly I know, I am making sure we have enough money to pay rent and keep my children fed.

They did put me on metformin, think I may have left that out when I originally posted, and my fasting hbA1c was 53 mmol (or whatever the letters are)

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see, a slice of toast for breakfast, maybe a sandwich for lunch, granary bread, but mainly salads. Dont eat pasta or rice as im not a fan of them, if I have potatoes maybe 2 if they are small. Its very rare I have anything that consists of pastry. Dont really like anything battered, and if I have cereal its usually porridge in the winter. I am however a massive fan of fresh veg, hence the reason I have a very small lawn and a passion for homegrown!!

Sorry I misunderstood the questions, forgive my ignorance/stupidity.

It may well be the bread causing your problems. You won't know unless you test it, but bread is one of the main culprits and heavy carb, whether it is white, brown or granary. Try something different. Maybe a plain Greek yogurt with a very few berries thrown in, or bacon and eggs, or eggs cooked any which way for breakfast. For lunch stick to salads until you get a meter.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Forgiven!! ;-) I am on metformin, as I said before, im currently unemployed so, silly I know, I am making sure we have enough money to pay rent and keep my children fed.

They did put me on metformin, think I may have left that out when I originally posted, and my fasting hbA1c was 53 mmol (or whatever the letters are)
A fasting of 53 mmol/L is not too bad. :hungry: Based on that I'm guessing it's just a matter of reducing your carb intake to get things under control. :bored:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

That would be an HbA1c (3 month average), not a fasting glucose test. If your last HbA1c was 63 you have been running on high levels for a long time and need to get it under control before you become very ill.