Insulin Pump

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
is it true that you have to be perfect at carb counting and have mega tight control to get an insulin pump?

this is what i was told by a health care professional

:)

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The guidelines for getting on are on the NICE web site.http://www.advancedtherapeuticsuk.com/nice-guidelines-funding-insulin-pump-therapy But I believe all Health Authorities differ. I know Glasgow where I stay require you to have attended a Card Course such as DAFNE. I don't think tight control is a must as If you have tight control on MDI there would be no reason for the pump. Unless you met the other criteria. I may be wrong with some of this so anyone can correct me

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
is it true that you have to be perfect at carb counting and have mega tight control to get an insulin pump?

Not in those exact words, but the effort must have been made basically by the Patient to carb count correctly, and that you have taken full responsibility in trying your hardest to manage your bloods.

What you have to prove is that you have tried everything from basal injection once a day and or twice a day for example. That you cannot achieve good levels without hypo's. That you can carb count, and that you do so for all your foods. Guidelines are on the NICE website.

Some healthcare persons insist that you attend a DAFNE course, mine didn't because for every aspect of my life everything was written down in a logbook with my food-what I ate, my exercise, when I got up, every aspect of my life was written in my logbooks. All my injections, my readings, everything. So I did not have to go on a DAFNE course, and because of a driving incident I had mine within a week, but had to wait a further two weeks because my nurse was on holiday.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Not in those exact words, but the effort must have been made basically by the Patient to carb count correctly, and that you have taken full responsibility in trying your hardest to manage your bloods.

What you have to prove is that you have tried everything from basal injection once a day and or twice a day for example. That you cannot achieve good levels without hypo's. That you can carb count, and that you do so for all your foods. Guidelines are on the NICE website.

Some healthcare persons insist that you attend a DAFNE course, mine didn't because for every aspect of my life everything was written down in a logbook with my food-what I ate, my exercise, when I got up, every aspect of my life was written in my logbooks. All my injections, my readings, everything. So I did not have to go on a DAFNE course, and because of a driving incident I had mine within a week, but had to wait a further two weeks because my nurse was on holiday.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thats great guys, thankyou!

understand it all a little more now and why i havent been offered one yet :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have you done a dafne course? Did they offer to send you on one? Do you carb count?

If any of the responses are no, there are online courses, which someone will come along and give you links too. Sorry I am hopeless at links...

iHs

Google carb counting BDEC and register to join and it will explain carb counting using a ratio and also how to do a correction using the 100 rule. Lots of people use a different ratio at different times of the day but a starter is usually 1u for 10g carb and adjust it as bnecessary.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Saying all of the above, it is also the responsibility of the Healthcare persons to assist you in managing your bloods and readings and to offer good advice and help to improve or move to a pump if all else fails. The Patients do have to prove on a consistent basis that they have done everything.

Unfortunately, if you can't fulfil longterm consistency with trying to manage your diabetes, then there are people that really are desperately needing one and have tried everything, and they will jump in before you.

However, DSN's should recognise that youngsters struggle with their control, and possibly need a bit more encouragement etc..instead of ruling out a DSN should really have explained more clearly what you needed to do. Some DSN's and Consultants show more empathy towards youngsters and meeting the criteria.

There are NICE guidelines that need to be met, but I'm **** with doing links to websites and information, hopefully somebody may be able to help out with the link.