Fish keeping

Jojorid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone else here keep fish ? I have 6 tanks , mainly have betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish) , breeding pair of kribs (type of Cichlid) and a few others :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Our son in law keeps and collects Koi Carp .
We have to feed them - when they are away on holidays or weddings .
I did have a favourite one too - he sold it for a bomb .
Was gobsmacked they could be worth that much :wideyed:

Jojorid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Koi are very expensive fish beautiful to , mine are much smaller lol they do take up time looking after , mine all have individual personalities

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I have 2 sets of goldfish - one at home and one at work. Love them. Ones at work have changed colour several times. As both sets are looked after by children, I chose goldfish because they are so hardy.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband has kept fish almost all our married life - his dad used to keep them too before I met him. He has an aquarium and we have had a fish pond in all our gardens, but never kept anything so stunning as koi. When we were looking to buy our second house, we knew we'd found it as it had an outdoor pond teeming with fish, and a rather sad indoor aquarium (house had been rented out as owners had gone abroad) which was included in the sale. He usually has some gouramis, angels, golden barbs, a red tail shark, and little shoals of fish such as neons and tetras. We did also have a couple of siamese fighters ages ago too - they had beautiful colouring.

Robbity

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep koi and a sterlet in my pond, the wife (yes I know the wife again) used have tropical fish and used to breed discus so I am told.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have one tank of tropical fish now.
Before having the kids, and out last house move many years ago, I had a few more, including a tropical marine tank, with an assortment of puffers, clownfish, damselfish, and a few I can't remember anymore.
It was well before all the integrated tanks, so the cupboard below, and behind, was an assortment of filters, spraybars, extended gravel and coral filters, which seemed to work.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've got a 70litre tank, with a small fleet of neons and some cherry barbs.
And a very shy algae muncher.
It is a bit algaefied at the moment, which I hate, but it always happens, spring and autumn, because the angle of the sun increases light levels for a few weeks.
Masses of live planting and some carnivorous snails, who were shipped in to deal with a plant snail infestation a while back...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've got a 70litre tank, with a small fleet of neons and some cherry barbs.
And a very shy algae muncher.
Oh, we used to have one of them too - he was a very ugly beastie as well as being shy. I used to call him my hoover fish, as he would work his way over any algae on the glass, slurping it away.

Robbity

Jojorid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1413741694.199641.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1413741712.784606.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1413741733.313850.jpg
some of my fish

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, we used to have one of them too - he was a very ugly beastie as well as being shy. I used to call him my hoover fish, as he would work his way over any algae on the glass, slurping it away.

Robbity

:D
We popped him in over a year ago and haven't seen him since.
He seems to be nocturnal, and seems to be fit and well, because we see munch trails through the algae, in the morning.

From (distant) memory, he is black with white specks, and a moustache.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ours was a plecostomus and he definitely had whiskers or feelers around his nose and a rather large gob when he had it open to hoover.

Another shy breed we had ( I'm remembering now...) were Kulhi (sp??) loaches. They were like tiny little orange and chocolate striped eels, and would bury themselves under the rocks and driftwood, and were virtually never seen either.

Robbity

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to keep tropical fish when I was a teenager.
Always meant to start it up again but never got around to it.
I will at somepoint when my son is a bit older.
I used to really like keeping mollies.