Confused

Rhea booth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have a few people here with Fibromyalgia so you aren't alone.

So if you are to drop some carbs and lose weight I would suggest going to just one shredded wheat make sure that the yoghurt has no sugar and is just natural (watch out for low fat). What do you have in your sandwich, one or 2 slices? Try cutting down to one and top up on lettuce or raw carrots etc. Try and drop the supper unless you need it medically. If you feel hungry try having a cup of tea or water. Something with no calories.

Wow I'm taken back just how helpful and nice you all are , I will take all the advice and get a hold on this and keep you up to date on my success
X

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Y

Yes I take them for my lungs x
I believe I saw somewhere that these may cause glucose levels to misbehave, you may like to ask your doctor. Perhaps someone more familiar with having diabetes while on steroids will comment.

Reactions: 2 people

Rhea booth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe I saw somewhere that these may cause glucose levels to misbehave, you may like to ask your doctor. Perhaps someone more familiar with having diabetes while on steroids will comment.

Thank you for your help Hun x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome!

Blimey Rhea, you do have a lot to cope with, but diabetes can be controlled with some effort on your part, and you sound like a person prepared to put that effort in.

As has been said, cut the carbs right down, especially the main culprits (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereals and all sugary stuff). Obtain a glucose meter and use it to learn which foods you can or can't cope with. We are all different and can all cope with different amounts of carbs, so only by using a meter can you discover your own limits. Just as an example, I have learnt I can eat one slice of bread but not two. I can manage 3 small new potatoes or half a dozen chips, but no more than that.

In my opinion, it might help if you replace the Shreddies with a Greek yogurt (plain) with a few berries added, or eggs in any way, shape or form for breakfast, and also cut out the cereals at night. That would be a good start.

Good luck, and stay with us!

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Weight will be the main problem you need to tackle but steroids are a big problem for diabetics and your nurse should have taken account of that in telling you to lose weight as it makes it doubly difficult. Do discuss the steroids with the nurse but assuming the prescription can't be changed then you must focus on the diet. You must keep the carbs down as far as you reasonably can and make up with proteins and some fats; veg and some fruit are fine. A glucose meter is essential so you can see what affects you most. Some of us now have eggs and bacon rather than cereals for breakfast. If you have yogurt do read the labels many are stuffed full of sugar. I have chocolate but it's 85% Dark chocolate that is quite low carb. Cheese and nuts are good for us. Do look around the forums for more food ideas and come back with questions. Once you get your weight down your blood sugar will also fall. I'm sure you will stay on Metformin; I'm still on it despite being on insulin as it helps just a little. There are one or two other tablets and even a weekly injection when overweight that can be prescribed subject to your other conditions but let's hope they aren't needed and do discuss options with the nurse

Rhea booth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome!

Blimey Rhea, you do have a lot to cope with, but diabetes can be controlled with some effort on your part, and you sound like a person prepared to put that effort in.

As has been said, cut the carbs right down, especially the main culprits (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereals and all sugary stuff). Obtain a glucose meter and use it to learn which foods you can or can't cope with. We are all different and can all cope with different amounts of carbs, so only by using a meter can you discover your own limits. Just as an example, I have learnt I can eat one slice of bread but not two. I can manage 3 small new potatoes or half a dozen chips, but no more than that.

In my opinion, it might help if you replace the Shreddies with a Greek yogurt (plain) with a few berries added, or eggs in any way, shape or form for breakfast, and also cut out the cereals at night. That would be a good start.

Good luck, and stay with us!

Thank you for your help you've all been so helpful x

Rhea booth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T
Hi and welcome. Weight will be the main problem you need to tackle but steroids are a big problem for diabetics and your nurse should have taken account of that in telling you to lose weight as it makes it doubly difficult. Do discuss the steroids with the nurse but assuming the prescription can't be changed then you must focus on the diet. You must keep the carbs down as far as you reasonably can and make up with proteins and some fats; veg and some fruit are fine. A glucose meter is essential so you can see what affects you most. Some of us now have eggs and bacon rather than cereals for breakfast. If you have yogurt do read the labels many are stuffed full of sugar. I have chocolate but it's 85% Dark chocolate that is quite low carb. Cheese and nuts are good for us. Do look around the forums for more food ideas and come back with questions. Once you get your weight down your blood sugar will also fall. I'm sure you will stay on Metformin; I'm still on it despite being on insulin as it helps just a little. There are one or two other tablets and even a weekly injection when overweight that can be prescribed subject to your other conditions but let's hope they aren't needed and do discuss options with the nurse

I thought I was eating healthy the way the nurse told me to eat but after all the advice iv had on here today I will defiantly be looking more closely into it tomorrow and making changes thank you x