Newly Diagnosed - Positive about beating Diabetes

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Newly Diagnosed for Diabetes has had an emotional impact, its come along just as I start to reflect on getting old. Even though I am only 58, But other stuff like kids grown up and being independent, bones starting to creak even though I still play football or maybe because I play football. I am generally very positive about things so my username was an anagram of Diabetes. Beat This became BEATDISE. So I will post any stuff I can to help me make sense of it and share it to help others make sense of it. First bit of advice for all NON DIABETICS manage it before it happens. I know you all say it, you all said it we never listen. Some do listen and they were right are right. As humans we have our frailties. I was saying we were lucky when we were young we couldnt afford soda pop or coke or sweets or takeaways. Now its too easy to buy all the rubbish that's out there. Need more education maybe more legislation.

Best wishes all Rafiq AKA BEATDISE

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, the shops are full of food rubbish. I hope you are now adopting a diet with a sensibly low level of carbs and joining a very crowd that spends time in the supermarkets reading all the food packaging labels and ignoring the cakes and sugary drinks aisles!

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Thanks Diabell. I am but my heads spinning from reading all the labels, I have simply stopped fizzy drinks, cakes, sugar, fried stuff, crisps, although I wasn't maxing out on this stuff but when I added it all up clearly it was doing damage. No more than a couple of takeaways a week. Eating more fruit and vegetables and salads. I hope to sustain it...have to sustain it. I want a long, active and healthy life. Might be a blessing!

Many thanks again Diabell

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum, unfortunately there's not much we can do about getting old but we can do our best to keep healthy & active, look forward to your contribution.

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. What type are you? I'd be interested to know what your views/ideas would be in terms of getting legislation on the foods.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most type 2 diabetics respond very well to eating sensible foods, losing weight and increasing activity. It is superior to doing nothing and just relying on meds to do it all for you. If you need meds because your bloods are too high, it still helps and many people find that their med levels can be reduced.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Hi and welcome. What type are you? I'd be interested to know what your views/ideas would be in terms of getting legislation on the foods.

Hi Bazzza

My doc hasn't told me yet. He just said I am diabetic. I assume its type 2 though if he is saying that I should go on diet and exercise for 3 months. My HBAC1 was 12.00 over two fast tests.

The food lobby will have to be challenged though, it does not make sense to say we have an obesity problem on the one hand and on the other produce foods that are addictive as they are damaging. As i stated maybe mine isn't too bad given I never had access to the rubbish as a result of poverty as a youngster. But my kids despite knowings its bad for them because they can afford it..more to the point I can afford it they want it. I have ceased buying some of the stuff and will continue to improve and change, but there has to be legislation to protect society. Current info on packets doesn't help me diddly. Its so small you cant read it anyway and if you could you need a phd to make sense of it.

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hear ya man! Some of the info on the labels is so convoluted and the more to the point, the companies make it that hard for consumers to understand because I'd at least like to imagine that if they really know or could make sense of what their food was made from they might think twice before buying it. I think a good place to start would be in the schools and educate kids on food and health and the relation they have with each other and how they ultimately define your quality of life.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Diabell. I am but my heads spinning from reading all the labels, I have simply stopped fizzy drinks, cakes, sugar, fried stuff, crisps, although I wasn't maxing out on this stuff but when I added it all up clearly it was doing damage. No more than a couple of takeaways a week. Eating more fruit and vegetables and salads. I hope to sustain it...have to sustain it. I want a long, active and healthy life. Might be a blessing!

Many thanks again Diabell

Good to see you are being proactive. This disease is very manageable with a bit of effort. You will learn a lot from reading round this forum, where you will find a wealth of information and a great supportive bunch of people. One little tip. You say you have increased your fruit. Please be careful with it. Fruit is full of sugar. Yes, natural sugar, but still sugar. Berries seem to be the best choice. Similarly milk - that is also full of sugar. Carbs are the main culprits in raising blood sugars - spuds, bread, rice, pasta, cereals etc. Chose with caution, and keep the portions small or avoid altogether. You also say you cut out fried stuff. Trust me, as far as blood sugars are concerned, there is no need to do this. Unless you have other health problems stopping you, there is nothing better than bacon and eggs with toms and mushrooms for a diabetic.

Are you going to buy a meter? I hope so. They are the best tools we have to help us.