Hungry all the time ...HELP

corrie631

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercising
Contently hungry , even when ive just eaten will this settle down and has anyone got any ideas on what can eat that wont sent blood sugar sky high?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This is quite normal after being newly diagnosed, I suspect you lost some weight before being diagnosed and this is your body's way of making up for the loss, it will pass in time so don't worry, but make sure to check your bg levels regularly as hunger can be a symptom of a hypo.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i tend to feel hungry in the evenings so i feel for you

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Couple squares of dark choc.. More than 70% choc though.

Few walnuts n some cheese (without the biscuits) are good.

Some berries and cream?

One favourite is just cucumber sliced up with an egg mayonnaise

Or my top favourite is a long pointy red pepper sliced in half lengthwise (seeds removed) and filled with chive philadelphia cheese.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nuts work for me but the best is a glass of water. This will remove the hunger pangs and worked for me whilst on a very low calorie diet.

ianmi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who take themselves too seriously!
I was diagnosed Type 2 in June this year and did feel hungry a lot. This passed after a few weeks. Have a cuppa (obviously without sugar). The time it takes to make a brew and the drink will hopefully take away your cravings!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I was constantly hungry leading up to diagnosis. Always eating, but getting no energy from food so craving more. It is a symptom of uncontrolled diabetes. Once you get your diabetes under control, the hunger will stop.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Contently hungry , even when ive just eaten will this settle down and has anyone got any ideas on what can eat that wont sent blood sugar sky high?
it might pay to speak to your Nurse or Dr to see what they think. it may be a settling in period
after you have settled and happy with how you can adjust your insulin to your diet. then I would look at what is triggering the hunger, if it's still there.
if you are now on a fixed dose and eat to your insulin, that can do it, or some people have what is called a carb craving http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm . what happens is the carbs are reduced till they find the amount that suits their system http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
people can also adjust their weight up and down by the amount of carbs in the diet

what insulin are you on, a basal and bolus with your meals or a mixed 70/30 etc

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am always hungry! I just don't pander to the temptation as I know what can happen. This is why I know I'm losing weight without weighing myself!
I find something to do. I read, walk with dog, come on to this forum, watch footie etc.
It works for me!

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Carbohydrates have a big effect on blood sugar levels. The increase in the blood sugar level is determined by how much carbohydrates you eat. Thus you have to know the food that contain a lot of carbohydrates and try to avoid it like roti, rice, bread, grain, pasta, juices, milk; yogurt, cereals, naan, lentils, potatoes, sodas and desserts, etc.