Injection Sites

Schillers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay,

So I'm newly diagnosed and although I am finding getting my head around it okay, the one question I have relates to Insulin controlled Diabetes. I am Type 1 and therefore have to inject around four time a day. I am worried about getting sore or bruising from all the injections.

Can anyone help me with which parts of my body I can/cannot inject and any tips about this as it is my primary concern. Perhaps people have routines or timetables to stop this happening?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
for me it was both upper thighs, buttocks, arm [tricep area] and stomach..........

these are the most common areas but if there is a good bit of flesh it can go in...........

its wise to stick to the mentioned areas though as they are easy to get to and have good absorption.......

just make sure you rotate injection sites each time, this can mean, moving about the same area, or like I used to do, change the area completely each time, so bum, thigh, arm, stomach etc.......

make sure to change your needles each time.............I only changed mine after each disposable injection was up, but in order to minimize bruising and lumps forming changing the needle each time is wise.....and a good habit to get in to........;)

Schillers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
for me it was both upper thighs, buttocks, arm [tricep area] and stomach..........

these are the most common areas but if there is a good bit of flesh it can go in...........

its wise to stick to the mentioned areas though as they are easy to get to and have good absorption.......

just make sure you rotate injection sites each time, this can mean, moving about the same area, or like I used to do, change the area completely each time, so bum, thigh, arm, stomach etc.......

make sure to change your needles each time.............I only changed mine after each disposable injection was up, but in order to minimize bruising and lumps forming changing the needle each time is wise.....and a good habit to get in to........;)

Thank you, I have to say, my triceps area is lacking flesh due to the weight loss so I am wondering is that is still a good idea for me. Is bruising something you ever encounter or is this something that will only really happen if I concentrate it in a single area?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
to be honest, bruising happened all the time with me............

its just means you hit a vessel.........

what you want to avoid is the lumps caused by injecting in the same area all the time........

there is more chance of a blunt needle giving you bruising also.....

as long as there is about 10 mm of sub cutaneous tissue your OK......

I just learned to accept it..........the bruises were never visible to anyone but me, and the misses of course.......;)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you Google insulin injection sites and then images there are loads of pictures of where to inject. The stomach is a very common area and I have only ever used there. People vary a lot on bruising etc. I occasionally have bruising and a short-term lump. I re-use the needle for each day and it makes no difference whether I use a fresh needle or use it four times and it does save the NHS money; try and see what works for you.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The stomach is one of the areas for fast absorption, so you should inject your fast acting insulin there. Conversely, your thighs are an area of slow absorption, so you should inject your long acting insulin there.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay,

So I'm newly diagnosed and although I am finding getting my head around it okay, the one question I have relates to Insulin controlled Diabetes. I am Type 1 and therefore have to inject around four time a day. I am worried about getting sore or bruising from all the injections.

Can anyone help me with which parts of my body I can/cannot inject and any tips about this as it is my primary concern. Perhaps people have routines or timetables to stop this happening?

Thanks in advance!
well im a type 1 on novorapid and Lantus insulin been diabetic for 2years Firstly i get bruising on my lower stommack if i use the same place a few times the painfull areas are when i inject into the top front of my legs now i inject at an angle and theres little pain,

niccidoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on the same insulin as you and I'm getting permanent painful lumps in my abdomen where I inject insulin I do rotate though won't use my legs as they always seem to bruise and bleed I wish there was a alternative to injections, novonordisk make so much money from novo pens that I believe that is why there isn't a alternative something should be done about it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on the same insulin as you and I'm getting permanent painful lumps in my abdomen where I inject insulin I do rotate though won't use my legs as they always seem to bruise and bleed I wish there was a alternative to injections, novonordisk make so much money from novo pens that I believe that is why there isn't a alternative something should be done about it.
I think you may be one of the unlukcy ones. In two years I've only had one or two bruises using a NovoNordisk penfill pen with 4mm needles. It seems people have widely varying skin and flesh 'types'. Do ensure your needle length is as short as possible consistent with flesh depth