Testing Strips

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been getting Freestyle Testing Strips from my GP since I was diagnosed, I get 50 in a pack and normally get this monthly. I don't think there would ever be any problem getting more, and I have had more since being on Insulin, but can you get them in larger quantities at all? Is there a 'norm'? I also take Bydureon and Gliclazide so I do need to be able to test regularly.

Since being given Insulin (Lantus) I am definitely testing more, but I just wondered if there was a normal amount that people get?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
50 in a box is normal, but as your on insulin you should be getting prescribed more test strips, as a type 1 I get 200 strips every 4 weeks.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree you should get more than one box at a time, I get 10 boxes of 50 on my repeat prescription then as needed.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
50 testing strips a month is not a lot and leaves no latitude for driving etc. Strips can often cost £15-16 per 50 and we know that the NHS does not have a bottomless pit of money. My CCG promotes using the Nipro TRUEyou system, whose strips cost the NHS £9.92 per 50. So I get 150 per month. I use insulin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people