Help with Employer

YOREEL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

I've been a diabetic from my early teens going on 20yrs now. My control has been poor due to being young when I was diagnosed and kind of rebelling with a why me attitude. I've been with my employer for 10yrs. I've never really looked at my condition as a disability until now.
My poor control has led me to try to improve this over the past 5yrs. I used to inject a lot of novarapid before bed and would often over inject and have a hypo through the night scarring my family members when they found me fitting. Now I only inject my lantus at night but often wake up high - I went through a stage of stupidly not taking my lantus as I was scared I would hypo/fit again. Now due to the fluctuation of my levels and me mostly running high I am having issues with my sight (retinopathy) and erectile dysfunction and retrograde ejaculation. I am obviously a little depressed due to this.

My employment recently moved location. It is a fair distance away - 45mile round trip. I do not drive so I often work from home. They have asked me to go on a 5 day course for my personal development. I was over the moon until they said it's in my new work location - so basically it's where I'm contracted to work. The course starts at 9am every day and finishes range from 5.30pm to 11pm at night. Everyone else who attended this course attended in a different location to their contractual location so they got accommodation provided. My employer is now saying they will not provide accommodation for the full length of the course - only the one day for the late finish.
I need advice on this as I do not know whether I am in my rights to ask them to provide the accommodation as I have a disability with my eyesight/diabetes and I want to maintain good control of my levels. It would be easier to do this if I was in accommodation near to the course and could have my meals and snacks on time. I would be leaving my house around 6.30am and returning around 8.15pm. I would not have any good options to eat apart from junk and would be getting my evening meal around 9. For me this is bad.

Any advise on this? Would this fall under the disability act?

Also on a separate note any advise on travel passes/disability passes or any other things entitled to?

I know I sound like I'm looking for freebies but I've had this condition for a long time and never thought of it as a disability.

Thanks in advance,

Yoreel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not too sure where you stand on this, perhaps your Union Rep might advise or you could contact your local Citizens Advice.

As with regards to your bg levels, you should do some basal testing to get your bg levels under control, once you do that you can look at your insulin to carb ratio's, have a look at the following which gives a good explanation on how to do the test:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

When you've done that, have a look at the following which is an on-line version of the DAFNE course:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So the first question - when they moved did they provide you with any compensation/migration package and did the office move far? If the offic is more than about 10 miles from where it was then I think they may have to offer you expenses for the additional distance you have to travel per day but as they are letting you work from home most days I wouldnt push this too far as they could demand your presence in the office every day and then where would you be.

As this is only 5 days and it will help you in the long run as well as your company can you not handle leaving at 6:30 for a few days. I do it every day and not home until between 7PM and 8PM most evenings. Make you food the evening before lunch and may be even the evening. I am sure you can work it out and accommodate it.

I am sure you can work it out and will enjoy your course. Just get organised beforehand, be determined and show them that they can rely on you. After the course you could then discuss becoming home based

Hope it goes well

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have thought that your employer has a duty of care to ensure that your medical needs are taken into account when deciding where you should take the course and the length of time that they expect you to be away from home each day and the impact this may have on your health. Have you a HR/welfare dept that you can go to for advice?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think that they would argue that by providing the accommodation on the late evening they are doing that. It is a difficult one as it is the OPs place of work

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Yoreel, you could speak to your employers as this may be covered under "reasonable adjustment" but in my opinion the training request seems a fair request already. I don't wish to appear harsh and I can see you are having a rough time but your employer has every right to respond by saying if your diabetes was managed well, the training shouldn't be a problem. Good luck though and certainly worth an ask.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
I'm not sure about the employment situation re your rights.
Regarding accommodation options could include staying in a hotel nearby , treat it as if it were a holiday! You may be able to find a deal on Groupon, Wowcher, HotUKdeals, Vouchercloud, google voucher/discount codes, apps to find cheap hotels etc etc.
We travelled to Knowsley Safari Park and Proms in Manchester last weekend and accommodation on typically more expensive Friday and Saturday nights totalled £65 for family room including a/c heated/cooled room, ensuite,all you can eat hot/cold breakfasts both mornings, evening meal 1st night for us and a £15 meal voucher!
If you're having to travel each day maybe you could get a lift from someone travelling that way.
Perhaps make up your meals and take them with you?
Good luck.
(Not sure why font size changes throughout this post)

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can certainly ask them and see what suggestions they have?

YOREEL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies! I am waiting for a response from HR. I know it was pushing it a bit. I think if they come back and say no I'll attend anyway! I'll let you know what they say!

I will return mid week with some more questions regarding my health! Many thanks again x

Reactions: 2 people