Just say I am no longer have diabites

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been T2 diabetic since the start of this year, as some of you will know I now LCHF diet and have lost as shed load of weight. On my last visit to the DBN I was told I no longer need the meterorm tablets, and return in three months for more bs test. So my question is .. If my sugar is till showing normal .. Will the DBN say I am no longer diabitec .. If they do say this .. Will I no longer be ellegable for the vat free test strips
We all know that once a diabetic .. You are always a diabetic .. But some medics have not read the rules ...
I buy my own test strips and was wondering what would happen if by getting a good control of my sugar will result in costing me vat on strips.

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly, I'm delighted to hear that your pancreas seems to be working as well as a non-diabetics.

I have no answer to your questions, I guess it's for your doctor to decide whether you are a diabetic or not and what that will entail. However, I believe even if the NHS can claim you are cured, you will always be looking over your shoulder. I shudder to think if you came of the register and developed complications because they couldn't be ar*ed with you anymore.

All I can suggest is that you insist that you still receive the tests and benefits that come with being a diabetic - even if they continually show you are well.

Take care and good luck

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, but it's only responding to a LCHF diet .. If I eat too many carbs my sugar is back up ...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only ever had one set of tests within the diagnostic range. All subsequent iterations have been in the non-diabetic range. My GP still considers me a diabetic, and whilst I remain on the Diabetic Register, I consider I qualify to buy my strips, without VAT.

Should I be removed from the Register, then I would probably want further guidance.

To be honest, Enclave, I really wouldn't worry about that for now.

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I would insist that I remained on the register. You are diabetic. But very well controlled! Well done you! :D

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers, I will not worry for now then.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

The first line of the NHS webby on T2 treatment is literally "There's no cure for diabetes..." So hopefully they won't kick you off the register as you don't want to miss out on eye clinic check ups, vat free strips etc.

Best wishes, E :)

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
well they remove people after 3 years of normal BG levels after bariatric surgery and my DN has said they may do that to me as well and why wouldn't I want that? Although as a diabetic my pension may provide a higher annuity as they will expect me to die younger

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Enclave, why are you worried about VAT on strips? Far more important are the retinal screening and foot checks, not to mention regular HbA1c's. Apart from anything else, you won't need to test anywhere near as much! It is all supposition anyway. You haven't had your next test yet. You don't know what the result will be. What was your last HbA1c?

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
well they remove people after 3 years of normal BG levels after bariatric surgery and my DN has said they may do that to me as well and why wouldn't I want that? Although as a diabetic my pension may provide a higher annuity as they will expect me to die younger

There are benefits. :)
Although I intend simply to take the pot back now, and spend it.

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
oops .... sorry Bluetit .. forgot about eyes and feet .. just on a very tight budget so was worried about not being able to afford the test strips