Have I got this right?

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Based on my ratios 1:10 (Carbs) and 1:2 (for corrections) I ask because I'm so bad at maths and I want to make sure I understand what your man was saying in the video (This is just an example)

I want to eat a snack that's 15g of carbs. My BS is 13.0 before and my target is 7.0mmol/L. So I need a correction of 6 units to get my target.

So, 6/2 = 3mmol/L plus the 1.5 for the snack = 4.5mmol/L

Would that be right based on my numbers? :nailbiting:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Based on my ratios 1:10 (Carbs) and 1:2 (for corrections) I ask because I'm so bad at maths and I want to make sure I understand what your man was saying in the video (This is just an example)

I want to eat a snack that's 15g of carbs. My BS is 13.0 before and my target is 7.0mmol/L. So I need a correction of 6 units to get my target.

So, 6/2 = 3mmol/L plus the 1.5 for the snack = 4.5mmol/L

Would that be right based on my numbers? :nailbiting:

So are you saying (1:2 for corrections) that 1 unit of insulin brings your bg levels down by 2mmol, if so then it wouldn't bring your levels down by just 3mmol, it would bring it down by 12mmol, which you don't want if your bg levels are sitting at 13mmol, your correction dose would be (going on your calculation) 3 units.

As a rough guide, to work out a correction dose you add all your insulin up that you take on an average day and divide 100 by the TDD figure (total daily dose), so if you injected 18 units of basal and your bolus doses totalled 16 units, you would add these together to get a TDD of 34 units, divide 100 by this figure and your correction dose is 2.94, so 1 unit of insulin should bring your bg levels down by 3mmol.

As said, it's a rough guide and the higher the bg levels the less reliable the calculation is................just to confuse matters :)

btw, on an insulin ratio of 1:10 for carbs you would need 1.5 units of insulin for a 15g snack.