My Atkins Life

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Metformin certainly seemed to help take edge off my appetite in the beginning ( though the fear probably contributed as well). Losing weight helps if you get below your own personal fat threshold which is what some researchers think tipping over is the trigger for developing diabetes .... I don't know how much you have to lose , but I had 6 st to shift ( now down to about 2 1/2 st) and I couldn't lose on 1600-1800 cals. I try to stay around. 1200 Max 1400 and burn off 100 cals on exercise a day without adding anything back in and this has really shifted the weight. I think we actually need far fewer cals than we think.

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you are right.

I worry about upping the carbs to lose weight as in my experience it was eating them that was so addictive in the past and led me to piling the weight on. As a a diabetic the healthcare professionals won't be able to see past your weight, but it isn't the be all and end all- you can improve your BS levels and still be fat and I think that improving your levels has to be the first priority. It's easy for me to say, but I'd try reducing your calories before I started on upping the carbs. I seem to recall that you make a lot of fat bombs and low carb cakes etc which are ok as an occasional treat but not if you have weight to lose, I think the LCHF diet is no different from any other diet in my own experience, and weight loss only comes from watching the calories and upping the exercise, which is tricky for you at the minute( btw what about aqua aerobics - can you manage to swim?). I've not gone mad on the fat , and have tried to portion control the likes of cheese, nuts and oils as they are so calorific. If we had a normal appetite, we probably would be ok with eat freely to appetite advice given with the diet, but then if we were operating normally , we wouldn't be fat or diabetic ;-) I also take Metformin- it hasn't done much for my BS levels really but has taken edge off my appetite so maybe it is worth asking about that?

I have take 500g of Metformin a day for the last 6 weeks and I have also found it has taken away my appetite.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

Sorry for not being around - setting up the business has been crazy and I'm getting organised for Xmas.

Taken time out today for the Xpert course and am getting annoyed at the stuff being spouted out here - especially about monitoring bloods. They really do assume we are idiots.

I think I'm wasting my time but will see it through cos I aint a quitter!!!

Love to you all.

I should have more time next week so will check in with you lot to make sure you're all behaving!!

Peace and love!!

D xxxxx

Reactions: 7 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes sounds like my DESMOND course. Butter and cheese were the sons of Satan and only to be consumed under duress but you could eat fruit and carby veg with every meal washed down with a small carton of juice.

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes sounds like my DESMOND course. Butter and cheese were the sons of Satan and only to be consumed under duress but you could eat fruit and carby veg with every meal washed down with a small carton of juice.

I'm on a two hour type 2 diabetes awareness course on Wednesday morning. I better that's just like your. Will just let it go in one ear and out of the other. They can't say we didn't bother to attend.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went there wanting it to be brilliant. It was better than I expected but not life changing. What shocked me most was how 90% of them were doing nothing to take their health and learning into their own hands. Made me even more in awe of the people on here who are giving it their best shot.

One thing that did make me think was about metformin.....she said you should take it even with controlled diet as it will save the stores of insulin left to take you further into the future before needing insulin injections. So maybe I should go back to doc and ask for it? I got the feeling though that once you're on it, it's pretty much forever.

They shunned self testing and didn't see it necessary. I piped up saying that had I not tested eating the highly recommended porridge, I'd have carried on eating something more harmful to me than a cupcake. I don't think they like me!!!

It did stir up the fight in me and the desire to make the nhs change it's course of advice though....

Reactions: 6 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP did say that I should continue to take the metformin even when diet controlled and slim as he thinks it helps the heart amongst other things. I hope to reduce dose( indeed I've not gone up from 3 to 4 as afternoons I'm running in 4s as it is- 4.2 today before dinner)- as it helps with insulin resistance, I guess it will be reducing the amount of insulin used but bear in mind that there's diet controlled and low carb diet controlled. If you aren't stuffing carbs then the pancreas can have a breather.

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't cope with this idiotic approach to dieting on this course. I asked them to justify their recommendations and sparked a debate. We're now in tea break and the two leaders have physically turned their back on me and don't want to talk to me!?

I think I need to admit defeat and just leave!!!

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Deb - re Metformin. I took it to help reduce my insulin resistance and I'm sure it did. It isn't necessarily forever, my GP won't prescribe it for me anymore (even though I would like it) as my HbA1c is lower than 48. I found it was also good as an appetite suppressant and I was really hungry when I stopped taking it. On the downside was the hair loss, but I think at least some of mine was due to stress and not just Metformin.

Have fun on the course, lol ;):)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny the difference between GPs - mine was 47 last time after only 7 weeks post-diagnosis and he doubled the dose!! I'm reducing myself as I feel bit rubbish on it now as it seems to be making my anxiety symptoms worse and I've noticed my hair is thinner.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do believe Metformin isn't licenced for prescription by GP's to non-diabetics and pre-diabetics. In other words, A1c of under 48. However, I don't know if this applies to diagnosed diabetics who are controlled to under 48.

I was invited to an Xpert course earlier this year. I declined the invitation because the 2 course leaders were the 2 diabetic nurses at our surgery! I knew exactly what would be said.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm home and I've calmed down now but I am truly shocked on so many different levels. I'll try to break it down.

The first is how little interest people have on their condition and how they seem to plod along regardless, not taking it seriously or owning their prospects. That they want to be sat down and talked at for 2.5 hours a week and be fed the wrong information. Pun intended ;)

The second is how ridiculously behind the times their philosophy is. This Eat Well plate is fine - if you aren't diabetic. They presented the ideal plate for someone without diabetes - ON A DIABETES COURSE!!! ***?! And why is no one questioning it?

They advocated eating dried fruits and cited that dried fruit and whole fresh fruit were in equal nutritional values when most people know dried fruit is significantly higher in sugar. Cue McGee here - I got out the iPhone and googled it, then shared my results with the group 'dried apricot contains 36g carb per 100g and fresh apricot contains just 7g per 100g.'

The leader said I wasn't comparing portion sizes, therefore I was incorrect. I piped up and reiterated they were both based on 100g at which point the rest of the group were shocked. But the worst thing wasn't that it was incorrect - it was that she instantly tried to brush it under the table and poo poo the correct data instead of saying 'oh, I'll look into it' or 'yes you're right!'

She then went on to promote the 5:2 diet and told people to eat fruit and veg all day and drink a pint of milk on a fasting day!!! What she should have said was people should research it and decide if it could work for them and explain why you starve on two days a week. I announced I'd done it and was told by doc to stop, to which she had nothing to say.

Then I announced I'm on LCHF and lost lots of weight, ate a whole lot less, felt happier than ever on it and my BG is now stable....her response was to **** off the go to stats, to which I stated mine are all in check. I also presented the facts that the Diet Doctor promotes - that low fat = more carbs = diabetes increase. Again, they quickly moved on.

At tea break I was the only one left in the room with the two presenters and I tried to strike up a discussion with them about modern diets and info, to which they physically turned their backs on me and wouldn't look at me!!!

They couldn't handle having someone question their advice.

I sat there for the next 90 mins literally counting down the seconds til home time.

I am so infuriated with this. If diabetes is such a huge epidemic and is a burden on the nhs so much, why aren't they open for a debate?

Fair enough there isn't any money in the system to find testing strips for everyone, but don't poo poo testing individual foods if that person wants to. It is disgusting.

Above all what breaks my heart is that people will go away with all this advice onboard and stick to their recommendations, only to be tested again in three months' time to discover the same, if not worse results. The doc will accuse the patient of not taking control, the patient will feel disheartened that despite all their efforts and will ultimately just give up :( :( :(

I wish I was rich - then I'd set up a revolutionary diabetes course with RELEVANT and up to date information, instead of this Fisher Price brainwashing.

Thank you!
Deb xxxx

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well Deb....now, tell us, what did you really think about the course?;):)

I've never been on one, but nothing you have said surprises me......still, it's over now. :) But you're right it is heart breaking for those people who think the NHS and their GP's are right. All we can do is keep speaking out......and find a rich person to help :)

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting titty!! My hba1c was 44 but doc offered it to me.

I think low carbing made me fail the glucose tolerance test - think mine was 16 and GP was working from that result rather than considering my hypothesis on the situation.....

I don't think I am proper T2 yet. I'm still borderline. Makes little difference in reality but interesting how docs want to label me t2.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've still got four more sessions.....I think I should bow out now as I can feel my stress levels rising faster than eating a bowl of coco pops!!!

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What annoyed me at mine was the assumption we'd all got fa because we ate mountains of sweets and butter. In reality I got fat from eating pasta, brown rice, granary bread and baked spuds. Most of the people weren't even grossly overweight which I was so were probably already eating the heathy plate or something like it, so not sure how they reckoned more of the same would help.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yessssss exactly!!! Because whole wheat bread, pasta and rice is 'healthy'.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29929403

On the news this lunch time. Public Health England is now reviewing the eatwell plate in favour of a Mediterranean diet for obesity (not diabetes control as such)
Saw that this morning. I think the eat well plate would be ok if they just accepted that they've set the fat bit too low and the carb element way too high. I looked at when first diagnosed and the portions of rice and bread allowed were already higher than what I ate. I can't think of any other country that overdoses on carbs quite as much as we do.. Chip butties, pie and chips, roast spuds and Yorkshire puddings, naan and rice if we have an Indian meal. What worries me is that food poverty is going to force more people into diabetes as a loaf and bag of pasta are dirt cheap but fruit and veg and fish may be out of many people's budgets.