FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Early days but my third sensor is scanning at about 2.0 mmol/L lower than a BG reading taken with the Libre which in turn is reading about 0.5 mmol/L lower than my Contour Next USB.

Now, my current problem. I prefer my sugars to hover around the 4.4 mmol/L mark pre meal as registered by my Contour - the same BG reading from the Libre is about 3.8 mmol/L which I'm fine with but the scan reading will flat line at LO as the scan will not register mmol/L below 2.2 mmol/L.

So - unless the scans get considerably closer to BG readings I would have to allow higher pre meal glucose levels if I want to track trends - this I will not do.
More problematic is that once the scan is at 2.2 mmol/L or LO I have no idea if my glucose level is remaing level or dropping.

If the scans were consistently higher than BG readings I could just mentally adjust the scan to give the equivalent BG reading but I can't when it's 2mmol/L or more lower :meh:

Yeh same problem here but for different reasons. The limited range you can set the numbers at it is too restrictive. I want to set my lowest normal level to 3.6 but it won't let me. 3.9 is the lowest it lets you set, so it starts flagging low BGs way too high for me - it flags them when you're in the mid to low 4s. It's now recorded me as having low BG for a while today because I was at 3.9 - that's a normal level for me - even DAFNE doesn't call it a hypo until below 3.5. I just don't understand why they've restricted it like this.

I think your sensor will get more accurate BTW - mine has.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@logindetails keep this on for at least 3 days, it's annoying for it to take so long but mines gone from being up to 4 mmol to only about 1. Good luck :)

supp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Supp

I had problems with a dead arm too, and a few pins and needles down my arm!

It was worth putting up with though for the info it gave me.

I've on a Medtronic CGMS at the moment and the cost is bankrupting me, I'll live with the numbness for half of the cost

Jo

The numbness and pins and needles are still there 3 days in :( sharp jabbing too when I move my arm sometimes. Will be a relief to take this thing off.. Just can't afford to

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
@logindetails keep this on for at least 3 days, it's annoying for it to take so long but mines gone from being up to 4 mmol to only about 1. Good luck :)
Believe me I wont be taking this one off until absolutely necessary - it's not a pleasant task after only one day :nailbiting:
I'm getting very attached to this device. I took it to the pub tonight and the profile (trend) it has given me of my beer drinking exploits is worth it's weight in gold - I now know I've been taking insulin at the wrong time to cover the beer carbs so (hopefully) no more major spikes or overdoses of insulin when I go on the pop :woot: - I'll put the picture of the curve up tomorrow - too late now.
Never knew I could type so well when inebriated o_O
btw - very pleased you have changed your avatar back to that of your pretty face (I assume it's yours) rather than the boring seascape - I live by the sea if you want to come down for a swim sometime ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha thanks, looks like you had a good evening at the pub! Good drunk spelling, I have to rely on auto correct on my phone after a couple.
Yes my friend told me not to put my face on a forum in case someone recognised me, but I'm not saying anything bad so I changed back.

How were ur over night results after the alcohol??

@supp how's the arm today?

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm getting really long periods of 'lo' which is frustrating, but only had it in 24hours so hopefully today will show improvements

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just dread you all as I found out with my consultant...that consultants believe the lower levels and will tell you that you are not recognising hypo's....
I had such battles with consultants as they preferred to go by the data of low readings rather than me saying that they were inaccurate compared to the blood readings.

The additional recall of the Abbotts bloodstrips helped eventually but at the time of cgm wearing and low levels that didn't tie in with the bloods and my consultants giving me hassle then it really wasn't worth the aggravation of them threatening my driving license constantly.

Reactions: 5 people

supp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Emmotha

Arm is still the same.. No better or worse. The pins and needles and numbness is slightly worrying. But I haven't got any serious symptoms that Abbott mentioned. Like difficulty breathing or swelling of arm etc. so just gonna live with it.

P.S. Guys, on Facebook there's a page with lots of people on. 'Freestyle Libre Users'. I'm on there and getting some good info from everyone

Reactions: 3 people

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have just found a safety recall dated 6th Oct issued by the MHRA on the Freestyle Libre regarding erroneous levels.
Is that a certain batch or all? They wouldn't be allowed to carry on selling if the whole product had been recalled?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just found a safety recall dated 6th Oct issued by the MHRA on the Freestyle Libre regarding erroneous levels.

Do you have a link to that? I've just gone onto the MHRA site and couldn't find anything after March 2014.

Seeing the post immediately above, it looks like I'm a rubbish searcher.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For info:
06 October 2014
URGENT FIELD SAFETY NOTICE Product: FreeStyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitoring System Reference: ADC FA1048-2014 Type of Action: Field Safety Notice
Dear Valued Customer,
Recently Abbott Diabetes Care made limited quantities of our new FreeStyle Libre System available to selected individuals, including you.
One of the safety features of the FreeStyle Libre System is the software, which is designed to disable the sensor if it identifies a possible loss of sensor power. It has come to our attention that in rare cases this disabling feature may not function correctly, and there is the potential for power loss to occur which may not be properly identified by the system.
In these instances, when a scan is completed the sensor may provide previously collected glucose values as if they are current results. If this occurs, the results produced from the scan and seen on the Reader screen may be erroneous. Erroneous results which are not recognized by the user may pose significant risks to health. It is important to note that the built-in blood glucose meter system is unaffected by this issue, and may be used to check glucose at any time.
The above issue can be easily identified as the user would see the same glucose result on the screen each time they scanned during a period of power loss. They may also notice a gap in results on the 8- hour graph on the Reader screen.
Abbott Diabetes Care has made a change to the software that has corrected this issue for all newly manufactured FreeStyle Libre Sensors. No other Abbott Diabetes Care products are affected by this issue. If you are currently using the FreeStyle Libre System, please follow the user instructions and information below:
If any reading from a scan seems unexpected or does not seem to match the way you are feeling, you can use the meter and test strips to perform a blood glucose test to verify the results produced by a scan. If the problem continues, please contact Abbott Diabetes Care Customer Service at 0500 467 466. Pay special attention to signs and symptoms of high and low blood sugar (hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia):
Symptoms of high blood sugar may include: Excessive thirst, excessive urination, blurred vision, weakness, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms or are not feeling well, contact your health care professional immediately.
Symptoms of low blood sugar may include: Sweating, shakiness, weakness, extreme hunger, nausea, dizziness, headache, blurred vision, and rapid heart rate. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms or are not feeling well, contact your health care professional immediately.
Abbott Diabetes Care has notified the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) regarding this notice.
We want to assure you that our first priority is you, our customer. We appreciate your continued support and regret any inconvenience this situation may cause.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience this situation may cause for you. We thank you for your continued support of the FreeStyle Libre System.
If you have any further questions, please call Abbott Diabetes Care Customer Service at 0500 467 466.
Ref ADC FA1048-2014
Sincerely,
Kelly E. Duffy Division Vice President, Quality Assurance and Compliance Abbott Diabetes Care

Smidge

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Emmotha

Arm is still the same.. No better or worse. The pins and needles and numbness is slightly worrying. But I haven't got any serious symptoms that Abbott mentioned. Like difficulty breathing or swelling of arm etc. so just gonna live with it.

P.S. Guys, on Facebook there's a page with lots of people on. 'Freestyle Libre Users'. I'm on there and getting some good info from everyone
If you go on Facebook will everyone see you on it? I haven't told many ppl I'm diabetic yet

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just dread you all as I found out with my consultant...that consultants believe the lower levels and will tell you that you are not recognising hypo's....
I had such battles with consultants as they preferred to go by the data of low readings rather than me saying that they were inaccurate compared to the blood readings.

The additional recall of the Abbotts bloodstrips helped eventually but at the time of cgm wearing and low levels that didn't tie in with the bloods and my consultants giving me hassle then it really wasn't worth the aggravation of them threatening my driving license constantly.