Hba 1c

1207JRVL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
I had my diabetic review with the healthcare assistant on Thursday where I get weighed, blood pressure check, feet checked and bloods taken. However the blood test is not the one I used to have which was the fasting one. Has anyone else found they are not having this blood test and why. When the results come back I then get to see the diabetic nurse to discuss the results. I don't ever get to see a doctor at the practice and wonder if this is normal for T2s.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
when i have my bloods taken and see the diabetic nurse, if the results are high then the nurse will refer me to the gp

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't seen my DR re my diabetes since I was first diagnosed about 3 years ago but I see the DN every 6 months - I just look at it as a sign that all is ok. I'm assuming if she felt that I needed to see the DR she would refer me but you never in this wonderful era of cutbacks within the NHS!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi, welcome. Tests go in and out of fashion a bit. The fasting test is a snapshot, but I haven't had one at the practice since I was diagnosed. The confirmation is done with the HbA1c, which relies on blood sugar bonding with haemoglobin to provide an average of sorts over the previous three months. Readings are in mmol/mol (were in % until recently). 43-47 is regarded as prediabetic, and 48 upwards as diabetic.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only fasting glucose tests I've had were prior to diagnosis as part of routine tests for general health. Since Type 2 was suspected I have only ever had HbA1c tests. My Practice does not use FBG tests for diagnosis or reviews on the grounds they are unreliable as only snapshots of that moment in time.

I was diagnosed early January 2014 and have never seen a doctor about diabetes, just nurses. Even when I've seen my doctor for other reasons diabetes has never been discussed as such. Mind you, my levels have never been high. (diagnosed with HbA1c of 53 and dropping)

1207JRVL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you everyone for your replies. you have all reassured me that not seeing my gp or having the hba1c blood test is necessary. thanks.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always get told to fast before having blood taken. However, I believe that's because they're checking my cholesterol levels at the same time as everything else, and you need to fast for that to be accurate (I think?).

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Fasting is needed for the triglycerides component of cholesterol.