Upcoming new Basal insulins and the changing landscape

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Most probably won't be too aware of what's going on between Sanofi and Novo, but yesterday, Sanofi announced that it expects profits next year to be flatter due to increased price competition in the US on Lantus. It seems that Novo have embarked on severe discounting of Levemir and Sanofi have had to respond in kind and reduce the prices (increase the rebates) on Lantus.

Sanofi have been working on a new insulin, Toujeo, which is set to replace Lantus, and appears, from clinical trials, to have a flatter control profile than Lantus. The trials show 31% fewer hypos amongst participants. Toujeo has been accepted for review by the European Medicines Agency and regulatory approval in the US has been applied for.

Lantus has generated significant profits for Sanofi so they will be looking to replace Lantus amongst end users with Toujeo.

Those of us who are Lantus users can expect two outcomes to this:

1. Next year we can expect to see generic Insulin Glargine appearing (the patent protection expires in February 2015) and we may no longer receive Lantus from the Pharmacist.

2. We can also expect that some of us will see GPs/Consultants trying to move us over from Lantus to either Levemir or Toujeo, following a push from Sanofi/Novo sales reps.

In addition, Eli Lily has been working on a new Basal insulin, known as Peglispro, which in clinical trial results released earlier this year, proved more effective than Lantus in reducing blood sugar levels for patients with type 2 diabetes. It also caused significantly fewer episodes of overnight hypoglycemia.

So there is a lot in the offiing on the Basal Insulin front and we are likely to see some significant changes to what is prescribed in the coming eighteen months.

Reactions: 2 people

hague161

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tabloid newspapers, Right wing politics, Semolina
Hi Tim. I've just become aware of this post. I just started a new thread that you may be interested in asking how many others there may be like me who will gladly move over to Peglispro if only to be able to use the memoir pen which may well have come close to saving my life more than once.