Diabetes out of control in England

DCUK NewsBot

Just one in three diabetes patients correctly manage their blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels, according to data from Public Health England (PHE), leading to a significant increase in avoidable complications. In fact, targets are not being met in any areas of treatment, increasing the levels of amputation (120 a week), blindness, kidney failure, and mortality. Barbara Young, Chief Executive of Diabetes UK, said: "It is deeply worrying that there is a postcode lottery in diabetes healthcare and also huge variation in the proportion of people who have their diabetes under control." Young was not optimistic about the future of diabetes treatment. "This is just the latest in a long line of statistics that show that diabetes healthcare is hugely geographically variable and in many places is not good enough. The public deserve more than politicians and NHS leaders wringing their hands about it but then failing to do anything meaningful to try to fix it." Tower Hamlets, East London, is the worst area of the country for diabetes treatment, with only 28 per cent of patients receiving the correct level of care. Similar figures were observed in West Suffolk and Stafford. 48 per cent of patients in Wigan meet all three diabetes management targets, making them the most well-treated in the country.

Continue reading...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just one in three diabetes patients correctly manage their blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels, according to data from Public Health England (PHE), leading to a significant increase in avoidable complications. In fact, targets are not being met in any areas of treatment, increasing the levels of amputation (120 a week), blindness, kidney failure, and mortality. Barbara Young, Chief Executive of Diabetes UK, said: "It is deeply worrying that there is a postcode lottery in diabetes healthcare and also huge variation in the proportion of people who have their diabetes under control." Young was not optimistic about the future of diabetes treatment. "This is just the latest in a long line of statistics that show that diabetes healthcare is hugely geographically variable and in many places is not good enough. The public deserve more than politicians and NHS leaders wringing their hands about it but then failing to do anything meaningful to try to fix it." Tower Hamlets, East London, is the worst area of the country for diabetes treatment, with only 28 per cent of patients receiving the correct level of care. Similar figures were observed in West Suffolk and Stafford. 48 per cent of patients in Wigan meet all three diabetes management targets, making them the most well-treated in the country.

Continue reading...

This annoys me.....

Point one.. One in 3 diabetics manage their diabetes correctly...
Who determines what "correctly is?"
The NHS is blinkered on its advice to diabetics stating carbs at every meal. It does not recognise the benefits of pumps to some Patients and makes them "fight" to get one. It stops prescribing strips to type 2's... So taking away any possibility of type 2's being able to manage their levels.

I think I fall in to the official not managing my diabetes correctly bracket, because I don't follow NHS advice ref carbs at every meal, and eating 3 times a day.

Perhaps PHE should give an explanation to Diabetes.co.uk as to what "managing their diabetes correctly" looks like.

At the end of the day, from day one of diagnosis a patient is reliant upon the information from NHS staff, and from there, try to manage the illness in their own day to day lives. When we are all given varying advice, varying qtys of strips, pumps etc there is no way to bring the care of Patients up.

So now they are wondering why there are so many people getting complications? It just beggars belief to me...