Post weights blood sugar

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Since getting the libre I've been able to observe some interesting effects on my bs post weight training. This evening was the fourth time wearing it that I've seen this phenomenon. But what is it?

I do weights, and throughout the session my bs sits at a relatively constant level (4.8 tonight). On finishing in the gym, I have a protein shake, then when I get home about an hour later I have another. The carb intake in the shakes is <10g.

On all of these occasions I've seen the same behaviour. My bs starts to rise and peaks out at about 10 or 11mmol/l, over three or so hours later. It then starts dropping slowly . I correct with a u of insulin, but I'm wondering how to explain it. Is it a late glycogen dump or is something else going on related to the whey in the shake?

Last edited by a moderator:

Howie82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been told that the 'stress' of lifting weights causes your body to produce cortisol which makes our blood sugars rise. The same happens to me when I lift weights

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I don't know anything about protein shakes but;
Normally whenever I exercise I see a drop in my BG levels, but I have found that on a few occasions when I have pushed myself during exercise my BG levels rise or don't drop.

I wonder if, when pushing ourselves hard, we put stress on our body, and stress raises our BG levels.