Stuggling with my diabetes ?

Dannytomo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi am 19 and struggling to get to grips with my diabetes, i was diagnosed when i was 14 and sometimes still forget that i have it ? Anyone to talk to ?

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Hi @Dannytomo - I'm a little older than you (tounge in cheek :rolleyes:) and was diagnosed as type 1 just over a year ago. I'm very set in my ways and like all the wrong things for a diabetic but my approach is that diabetes has to struggle to get to grips with me not the other way around. What exactly are you struggling with?

Dannytomo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Dannytomo - I'm a little older than you (tounge in cheek :rolleyes:) and was diagnosed as type 1 just over a year ago. I'm very set in my ways and like all the wrong things for a diabetic but my approach is that diabetes has to struggle to get to grips with me not the other way around. What exactly are you struggling with?
i just genrallrally hate it to be honest! I allways forget to test my blood becuase am allways busy and i hate doing it whilst i am at college becuase people just judge and stare ! My health is fine and feel great most the time just stgullibg with the control of my HbA1C :(

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Danny, getting ones HbA1c down is a bit of ****** but in reality it's fairly simple as there is only 3 ways to do it - more insulin, less carbs and exercise in no particular order.
I hate exercise (unless it's raising a beer glass) so I tend to concentrate on the first two (sacrilege). However to make the first two methods work for you, you have to test your blood sugar - the more frequently the better.
I'm not concerned about testing my sugars in public but I understand many people are self concious about it. The partial remedy for this is to use a BG meter that is inconspicuous as possible and for this I would recommend the AccuCheck Mobile. If you have the $$'s then have a look at the FreeStyle Libre which doesn't require finger pricking for routine checks.
I look at blood sugar management as being both proactive by limiting my carb intake and reactive by injecting insulin when I can't resist the donut the street seller dangled in front of my nose or the extra pint someone just bought me (I wish) - just carry some Dextro with you incase you get it wrong ;)

Dannytomo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou so much :) gave me some ideas and ill stick at it and let you no how it goes ! Thankyou :) made me think alot more about it ;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You may wish to consider a pump (if you were able to get one from your hospital). They are less obvious than injections in public. Especially of you had one with a remote control.

If you are struggling with ur hba1c then that means that your control is not so good as it should be and you put your body in to the realms of getting complications at a future date...

If you can remember to eat, then you need to remember to test & inject.. Sorry, but it is necessary.

hannahlou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Danny,
I'm 34, been diabetic 22 years and I still sometimes forget....

It will become habit and sticking with it and getting your long term levels under control is worth it because then it's ok to have an off day, that extra pint or donut!

I use a BG istar when I'm out to test my blood its tiny and plugs into my iPhone.

Keep going honey, I really struggled at your age as there are so many other things to be doing and thinking about it - but truthfully you can't do them from a hospital bed so cracking it is the only way forward.

Good luck x