Should I have a meter?

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I don't have a meter to check bloods, Doc and DN say not required..I presume this is cost saving by the NHS.
Do I really need one? If so, where do I get them and approx costs?

Any comments would be helpful.

T2... Diet and met..500mg.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi HazelD,

I am also T2 I got my meter for free thought this website. I then have to pay for the test strips etc. I have found that by having a meter and being able to test how certain foods affect my blood that I have been able to take more control. For me this has been a real eye opener and I would definitely recommend you get one as well.

You will be shocked and amazed how how some things you thought were healthy to eat are not and vise versa.

Reactions: 4 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Hi HazelD,

I am also T2 I got my meter for free thought this website. I then have to pay for the test strips etc. I have found that by having a meter and being able to test how certain foods affect my blood that I have been able to take more control. For me this has been a real eye opener and I would definitely recommend you get one as well.

You will be shocked and amazed how how some things you thought were healthy to eat are not and vise versa.
What make is your meter?

fionamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I ordered THIS one on Sunday night and it was delivered Wednesday morning. Strips are cheap too, and codes gives you discount on bulk orders. I am newly diagnosed and am finding its worth it because I am testing quite often at the moment trying to find which foods i tollerate. x

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yes you do need a meter despite what the GP and DN might tell you (I bet they aren't diabetic). You have to learn what impact various foods and meals have on your BG. An HbA1c every 3/6/12 months won't do that for you.

I use the SD Codefree which seems to be about the most popular because the strips are cheapest.

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

I ordered THIS one on Sunday night and it was delivered Wednesday morning. Strips are cheap too, and codes gives you discount on bulk orders. I am newly diagnosed and am finding its worth it because I am testing quite often at the moment trying to find which foods i tollerate. x
Just what I have been asking about today so how did you find the discount code for the codefree strips I have been on to the HomeHealth UK web site today to order some but can't find any discount codes I was going to order 250 strips..5 boxes and I know someone on the forum said they are £25 with the discount when I put them in my basket they were £34.95

fionamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5 pack code 264086 10 pack code 975833 enter in Promotional Code box at checkout :)

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
My codefree meter arrived this morning. I think I will have to make an appointment to see the DN.... it rather threw me a bit to realise it has to be programmed though hubby can do that for me.My reading for the weekend - the guide. I now realise I will have to order lancets and strips and solution. Ah well I'll get there soon.

A friend who is T2 on only diet and exercise had his annual bloods done last week and was astonished that they were slightly higher than usual, he walks his dog for about an hour each morning and two hours in the afternoon. He doesn't have a meter either.... he might have to go on metformin if his bloods don't go down in the next month.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My codefree meter arrived this morning. I think I will have to make an appointment to see the DN.... it rather threw me a bit to realise it has to be programmed though hubby can do that for me.My reading for the weekend - the guide. I now realise I will have to order lancets and strips and solution. Ah well I'll get there soon.

A friend who is T2 on only diet and exercise had his annual bloods done last week and was astonished that they were slightly higher than usual, he walks his dog for about an hour each morning and two hours in the afternoon. He doesn't have a meter either.... he might have to go on metformin if his bloods don't go down in the next month.

Did your meter come complete with a few lancets and strips, in a set? If so, you can get going with it. Test immediately before you eat and 2 hours after you start, record what you ate (including portion sizes of carbs) and record your readings alongside. You will soon see which foods in what portions you need to avoid or reduce.

Tell your friend to join this forum, or at the very least get a meter. He is most likely eating the NHS standard "eatwell plate", which will be why his levels are going up.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Did your meter come complete with a few lancets and strips, in a set? If so, you can get going with it. Test immediately before you eat and 2 hours after you start, record what you ate (including portion sizes of carbs) and record your readings alongside. You will soon see which foods in what portions you need to avoid or reduce.

Tell your friend to join this forum, or at the very least get a meter. He is most likely eating the NHS standard "eatwell plate", which will be why his levels are going up.
I already keep a food diary, and yes I have 10 lancets and strips with the meter.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you have 9 lancets too many :) start with the lowest setting and milk your finger from the bottom up to get a drop of blood, go to the next setting if no drop...you don't want it to just bleed, you will get sore fingers, use the side of the finger pad, not the middle of it...

one when you get up in the morning, one before tea, and one for 2hr after your main carb meal, which will proably be tea. that will give you 3 days..
it will give a good idea of what's going on, ...nothing high carb..don't eat bread pasta pastries or fruit for now

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Picked up courage and did my first test on wakening yesterday, 6.3mmol; 2 hours after a mushroom and tomato toast breakfast 6mmol.....
2 hours after evening meal.... 7 chips, 3 fish fingers, vegs........8.6 ( that could have been the chips.)
Just done same again this morning, 6.3 on wakening. had porridge made with water with seeds and cinnnamon - 6.8

So I think I will eat a selection of differeent meals this week and check each one writing them all in my food diary.

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try 7 chips with something else- fish fingers can be carby too- and what veg did you have- peas? they re one of the higher carb veg. Keep testing and recording and you'll soon get a feel for what works together and what doesn't.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Try 7 chips with something else- fish fingers can be carby too- and what veg did you have- peas? they re one of the higher carb veg. Keep testing and recording and you'll soon get a feel for what works together and what doesn't.
Green beans and peas!
What should be a 'good' mmol after food? what is a bad mmol?
Although I have been diagnosed since April 2013, never had a meter until this week..bought the codefree.
Another question....how do you store the used strips and lancets?

As the lancets can only be used once, same as strips I can see this being an expensive outgoing and will only try and test once I get to know which foods spike me and which don't.
Thank you to all for your help, I do appreciate it very much. Its all a learning curve.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

As a general rule of thumb, the rise between before and after should be under 2mmol/l, ideally lower than this.
Again ideally, your befores should be under 6 and your 2 hour reading under 7.8, although many of us aim for lower than this. Personally I hate to see a 7 at 2 hours but I saw a lot of them when I first started.

When I have emptied a pot of strips I take the label off and store my used strips in there, then I just throw them away in the general rubbish.

If you use a new lancet each time you test it will become expensive. Most of us ignore that advice. Personally I use a lancet a week or more, until it gets blunt and starts to hurt or refuses to draw blood. (and I test about 10 times a day or more). As long as your hands are clean there is little chance of infection. I haven't read anywhere on this forum about anyone with infected fingers.

Reactions: 3 people

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

When I have emptied a pot of strips I take the label off and store my used strips in there, then I just throw them away in the general rubbish.

What a good idea. I've been throwing them in my sharps container or wrapping them in tissue before putting them in the waste.

Reactions: 2 people